Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Matching fabric for backing >

Matching fabric for backing

Matching fabric for backing

Old 03-22-2013, 05:24 PM

Default Matching fabric for backing

I want to buy wide backing material online (no options locally). My dilemma is how do you know if a fabric is going to match/blend with what you already have? I have charm packs of a Benartex line that I'm making the top from. But this line doesn't have a wide backing fabric. So I'm looking at various sites that have many wide backing fabrics. Thousands of Bolts has a lot of the wide. How do you choose from a monitor which fabric will match what you already have? So tired of looking!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:36 PM

That is a good question.

For matching fabrics, I think it helps to look at them on the same website (same vendor). If the vendor doesn't have that exact fabric, maybe they've got something from the same line with the same color scheme. So far I'm running @ 9 for 10 in gauging color matches on screen.

For backings, I usually don't try to match colors exactly. I want something that looks nice with the front, of course, and that isn't the same color as any binding I'm using. Swirly/batik-y things work well. I did just back a quilt with an Aunt Grace (or similar) red and white print -- from thousandsofbolts, in fact . The red tone didn't exactly match the red on the quilt front, but they still looked good together.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:37 PM
yel

sometimes when i can't find just the right back i go to the getting place and look at sheets [i machine quilt ] they are whole cloth and come in many colors and quality sheets hold up good
Old 03-22-2013, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

As long as the backing fabric was in the same colour family as the main colour in the top, it should be fine. I keep in mind the colour of the binding so that it compliments the front and back.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:25 AM

I think quilters get stuck with the feeling they have to "match" everything. I find that if I just try to get something that "coodinates" instead, I have better luck. If I like it and it blends well, and it goes with the binding, then it will look fine. Sometimes the coordination is color family, sometimes style of the print. I usually piece my backings with decorative touches, such as a row of blocks or strips from the front. It enlarges the backing and adds some interest to it.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the responses. One of my problems is how can I even tell if it coordinates with my fabric. Fabric.com is the only site I've found that has a color match tool for fabrics on their site. Do you know of any other sights that has this tool? The fabric line I have is Elanor Burns Perennials II by Benartex. I'd like to find a wide fabric that coordinates with the ecru fabrics in this line. Suggestions?

Last edited by sewelegant; 03-23-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:20 PM

That might be a tough one. Maybe worth going to some of the websites that will cut samples? Or, if you like one of the fabrics on thousandsofbolts, see if it's one where there's a cheap remnant? The shipping from there is pretty quick in my experience.

Will we get to see the quilt when it's done? That's a beautiful set of fabrics.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:31 PM

Thanks all - I found a wide backing fabric in that line, on Amazon of all places! This is just an older line of fabric, and no one's carrying it anymore. And yes, toolazy, I'll post a pic when I get it done. I'm doing a D9P, and still putting original blocks together. So don't be lurking too soon to see the finished project!! LOL!
Old 03-23-2013, 02:37 PM

Oh my goodness! You found it! That is awesome!

No worries on premature lurking -- I understand. Will love seeing it when the time comes .