Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Materials for a rag quilt...help

Materials for a rag quilt...help

Hi All!

I have made several rag quilts thge past few years and just love the look and simplicity of them. I am in the process of redecorating our bedroom and I have these beautiful "chenille" (actual content of fabric is 58% rayon, 32% polyester and 10% cotton. The fabric is just beautiful and soooooooooooo soft. So I had the great idea of making a rag quilt for our bed. Can this material be used to make a rag quilt? Can I use flannel for the center and backing? Help please!!!!!!!!!!!!

Japonica
    Japonica
    Those who give love, gather love

Why not make a square or two and wash see if you like it??? Then just do it and show is the pictures!!!
    Bonitagaye...proud new Gramma

Bonita,
    I have already washed the drapes to preshrink them. I think I will take your advice and make up two squares and see what they turn out like. Thanks for the advice!
    Japonica
    Those who give love, gather love

Las Vegas, NV - transplanted from Southeastern PA
    Flannel is my fabric of choice for a rag quilt. I have made 2 for my niece's new baby boy.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, WINE IN THE OTHER, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by 2blackcats View Post
    Flannel is my fabric of choice for a rag quilt. I have made 2 for my niece's new baby boy.

Flannel is my choice for the rag quilts as well. I just love how flannel rag quilts feel and look after several washings and dryings.
    God, Wonderful Family, Great Health, Awesome Friends, Quilting & Chocolates - - What more could a girl be blessed with!!

I've made many of them but in Flannel and love them for the winter. I have seen them made with cotton for a lighter quilt.

I bought 15 yards of flannel, 3 yards each of 5 different prints, cut my squares 10 inches, and made a rag quilt for my daughters Queen size bed. She absolutley loves it and so does her hubby. They live in a huge older Victorian home, so it helps keep them warm on the cold winter nights!!