Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
math challenged quilt with log cabin blocks >

math challenged quilt with log cabin blocks

math challenged quilt with log cabin blocks

Old 01-29-2016, 05:43 AM
Gay

Default math challenged quilt with log cabin blocks

My DIL asked me to help her make a quilt, diagram included here. The only real measurement I have is it has to be about 80" square. If the inner on-point square is about 60" corner to corner, I think - with my limited knowledge of math - the sides should be about 42", and here is my problem. 10 log cabin blocks are to go along each side of this square, and if I change the sides to 40" the log cabins will only be 4" finished. They are meant to be 7 strips accross, so the strips would have to be 1/2" wide. Does this size seem feasible? I think it would be a pain in the butt. Anyone done anything like this, and hope some brainy person can tell me it my figures are correct, thanks for any help.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541414[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails point.jpg  
Old 01-29-2016, 06:22 AM

If this to be a log cabin design quilt? You need to go to you tube or Pinterest to see some layouts that resemble what you have drawn.......some sites in interest will give instructions or refer to source of information
Old 01-29-2016, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

I tried to draw it on EQ7 but I will not allow me to make the 4" sashing into blocks. I made the center square 40" so that your 4" finished log cabin will fit. In order to get the quilt to measure square, it finished size is 80.225". The outside border is 9" finished. Maybe someone else who is more of an expert can do it. I would concentrate on the side of the row of log cabin blocks along the edge.
Attached Thumbnails point.jpg  
Old 01-29-2016, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

Your figures are correct. I have a couple of log cabin books with blocks made from half inch strips, so it can be done. It would be very, very heavy due to all the seams, yes, it would be a pain in the butt, but probably beautiful. I would make a couple test blocks to see if you could persevere.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:11 PM
Gay

Girls, thanks for the input. I had the same issue with EQ7 and considered doing it as a block. Perhaps I should work on 1/4 of the quilt and begin with those log cabins, or just use 4" strips. DIL likes the jagged edges of the 2colour LC block. It's to be a surprise for her friend who keeps eyeing off the quilt I made for her, http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...41-454053.html but is a huge difference in style, so not sure what we'll end up with. For now I just need to work out the amount of fabric.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:09 PM

I have made 3" log cabins with 7 strips across. I paper pieced them and enjoyed making them, but I love small, putsy, detailed stuff.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541518[/ATTACH]

In EQ7, in Libraries > Block Library > 02 Contemporary Pieced > 03 Foundation Pieced > Log Cabins, the 2nd block is the one with seven strips across.

Another option is doing a log cabin with 5 strips across. That is the 1st block in the library.

Both blocks can be re-sized to 4" and the foundations printed.

I'm curious. What is going in the center of this quilt? Please show pics as you create.
Attached Thumbnails img_5421.jpg