Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Math for half square triangles

Blog Entries
    I want to make an applique wallhanging featured in the current issue of Quilter's Newsletter. It uses 184 half square triangles cut by hand but I want to use the Fons and Porter ruler so I don't have to sew all those bias edges. My question is: the block size is supposed to be 2 3/8": what size do I cut my blocks to use the Fons and Porter ruler? Is it an extra 7/8"? That would make my cuts at 3 1/4"? Thanks in advance for the help.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I do HST by adding 1 inch to the finished block size. Draw a diagonal line and then sew 1/4 inch from each side of the line. Cut along the line and then square up as needed.

Many sites say to add 7/8 inch but I hate working with odd measurements so I just add 1 inch.

To do HST you do add the 7/8 for an accurate measure, and so it is 3 1/4 in.

I don't have a fons and porter ruler so can't help you with that part.

but these measurements will give you a 2 3/8th's block. I wold test it out on one or two blocks to make sure that they come out the size that you would like,

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the help, I knew I would find the right help here. Wish me luck with the challenging quilt.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter1
    I want to make an applique wallhanging featured in the current issue of Quilter's Newsletter. It uses 184 half square triangles cut by hand but I want to use the Fons and Porter ruler so I don't have to sew all those bias edges. My question is: the block size is supposed to be 2 3/8": what size do I cut my blocks to use the Fons and Porter ruler? Is it an extra 7/8"? That would make my cuts at 3 1/4"? Thanks in advance for the help.
    That is an odd size for a block... I haven't seen that size for a block before. That would make the cutting a nightmare for me :oops: