Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mauve >

Mauve

Mauve

Old 05-28-2016, 01:36 PM

Default Mauve

So I was looking through my stash to see what needs to be put away for another era and found that I somehow accumulated a bunch of mauvey pink. I figured I should just purge it but then I googled it. Wonder of wonders, mauve is trying to make an emergence into the fashion world at least....and combined with....lemon. yellow.

Oh please, no.

That combination will never make it into any of my quilts. Or am I uttering famous last words? Last year I hated modern quilts. This year, I like them soooo....who know, maybe mauve and bright yellow will grow on me.

Then I figured that maybe if I get started on my dusty mauve and blue quilt this weekend, the color scheme will be in style again by the time I finish it! Yes, I'm a slow quilter.

So is mauve really coming back? Or alternate question, does mauve have a place in the quilting world in this era ? I saw that Bonnie Hunter made an effort to use it, pretty unsuccessfully, IMHO.

What could I possibly do with a big chunk of mauve? Other than one stripe of a sunset, maybe, LOL.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:56 PM

It's pretty much a pantone color of the year! http://www.pantone.com/color-of-the-year-2016
Old 05-28-2016, 02:35 PM

A lady has asked me to finish a quilt for her daughter. The colours are mauve burgundy grey and a random screaming yellow border though the reverse is the same yellow. I haven't seen it in the flesh just a pic. but the yellow is very very bright. I like yellow flowers and the sun but other than that it's not one of my fav colours. I guess it would be very dull if everyone liked the same things.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:03 PM

Oh, please not mauve! Never been a favored color for me--even when we all used it with blues for home decorating. And having a hard time envisioning with lemon yellow! Yikes! I vote you purge it! LOL
Old 05-28-2016, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

I always liked mauve with purple. The purple being the main color of the quilt and an tiny accent of the mauve to make it sparkle. It is amazing how some colors are the rage for a long time and then it is almost hated. I would not like the lemon yellow with it no matter what is in style.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 05-28-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:20 PM

I second lynnie's comment.. mauve and gray look good together
Old 05-28-2016, 05:48 PM

What I've done is find Australian fabrics or florals that can stand out and downplay the mauve. I use it as a 'filler' color. Mauve was overdone in the '80's and I doubt it'll have a major place in design for most people for years to come. Recently, I made a wall hanging for a wedding gift with a focus fabric (Australian) that had dark and light gray, deep teal, deep plum, black, old gold, turquoise, and pale blue and it turned out really nice. Another wedding gift with mauve had complementary dark purple and light, dark and light green, silver and gray.
I have a Mac and fail to successfully post photos on this site so I can't share, unfortunately. I hope the above provides some new ideas.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

I love mauve with a crisp white or navy. I have always like the color. If anyone wonders what color it will go with try mother nature's green. Like the deep forest green. I have seen some very deep green walls with mauve accents. Stunning!! A crisp white trim and grey sashing (mirrors and frames). Look at some of your color photos and you'll see what I'm talking about. If it can go on a wall it can go on a bed.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

I have quite a few fabrics in that color, too.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:38 PM

I was playing today a d found that it's actually pretty great with some brown batiks I have that have beige wax and just a streak of plum or purple in them. I actually LIKE it. I'll have to post a photo tomorrow. I found NO yellows that worked, ha.