Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Maybe It's Time for a New Machine >

Maybe It's Time for a New Machine

Maybe It's Time for a New Machine

Old 04-25-2017, 04:15 PM

Default Maybe It's Time for a New Machine

I have an Elna 8007. It's about 15 years old. Lately, it has been doing things like giving me error codes, starting with the needle in the down position, then the other day I turned it on and the whole machine was vibrating hard and making a terrible noise. I shut it off immediately. I waited, then turned it on and it's been fine since. Well, with the exception of the occasional start with the needle down. I'm not sure what is happening, but I wonder if it's starting to go. I mean machines do get old. I have a plan to take it in this week. Does anyone out there have an Elna 8007, and has this happened to you? I've been looking at new machines, but wow, they sure are pricey! I hope they can fix it. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-25-2017, 04:40 PM

I have no experience with your machine specifically but I suspect it's time for a tune up - which you have scheduled. I'd be devastated if my Viking 950 was giving up the ghost...I love this machine.

Yes, new machines are expensive. Given that, if I needed to sew, I do have my featherweight and if push comes to shove, could get the 66 up and running. Granted, I'd hate to give up some of the features of my computerized machines but the old girls just 'keep on ticking'.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:58 PM

Get a repair estimate then decide if you want to fix it or not.
Having said that, I see nothing wrong with just getting a new one.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:59 PM

It might be time for a tune up. Fifteen years isn't that old for a good machine. My Bernina is 20 years old now and still going strong. I've had a few repair bills over the years, and I do take it in every year or so for a tune up. I'm hoping to get many more years of use out of it.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
It might be time for a tune up. Fifteen years isn't that old for a good machine. My Bernina is 20 years old now and still going strong. I've had a few repair bills over the years, and I do take it in every year or so for a tune up. I'm hoping to get many more years of use out of it.
I didn't think 15 years was very old. I'm hoping it's just a tune up. Thankfully I have a small Brother back up. Can you imagine being without your machine for a week?! Well, off to the repair shop tomorrow! Thank you everyone.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:58 AM

I had a machine stay in the shop for 2 months one time!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:25 AM

It sounds like it possibly might need a good cleaning and overhauling to get all dust and lints out of the inside working parts. I think this would make it run great again. Good Luck.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

Get an estimate in writing on the cost of service and repair. If the repair is pricey, perhaps that will help you decide if to repair or replace. If if is a reputable shop, they may give your something off a new machine with a trade in.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:40 AM

Its probably a bad mother board, a 2 second, $500 fix.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sarakali View Post
I didn't think 15 years was very old. I'm hoping it's just a tune up. Thankfully I have a small Brother back up. Can you imagine being without your machine for a week?! Well, off to the repair shop tomorrow! Thank you everyone.
I used to only have the one machine and having it in the shop was awful! Thankfully, I now have 3 vintage machines as well as the Bernina so if one machine is in the shop I always have others to sew on.