Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mckenna Ryan patterns/changing colors >

Mckenna Ryan patterns/changing colors

Mckenna Ryan patterns/changing colors

Old 10-03-2011, 01:12 PM

http://www.amazon.com/McKenna-Pine-N.../dp/B001SAVHN0

I have a chance to get this pattern set at a very good price,less than half of what they go for. My question is how do I go about even picking fabrics for something like this? I am not fond of pastels and would like to make this in more natural colors. Am I way out of my league here? I am a scrappy quilter so I am not good with colors and tend to get overwhelmed with color selection. Do batiks naturally blend together? I do love this quilt and have for a long time but would never pay 90 bucks for a set.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:35 PM

I'm not into pastels either and if I were doing something like this I would use the colors that are found in nature. It will make this quilt look completely different. I'd do one section at a time and go from there. I'd really like to see it in other colors, it should be very striking. It is lovely as it is but color choices change thing so much.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:41 PM

I paid around $160 just for the patterns....and I am collecting some of her suggested fabrics but will also use scraps as I too like deeper tones in my quilts.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:42 PM

Good luck finishing the beautiful quilt.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:46 PM

Nice and the woodsy colors would b great
Old 10-03-2011, 06:48 PM

I was able to buy this whole series from a dear gal on here.. I also posted wanting to buy landscape fabrics, and another wonderful lady sent me 2 huge boxes of fabrics! I haven't started on the quilt yet, but I plan to just make it using my own fabric choices. As JCL said, I am going to try to use more of the colors of nature, and more like in Fall...I do think it is lovely as it is, but I just like to put my own "spin" on things.
I think you will be fine doing it...the patterns are really just a sheet that has each scene outline printed on it. You then use those as patterns to make your applique pieces...and, for 1/2 the normal price, I would jump on it! If you decide it is not for you, I would think you could easily re-sale it...
Good luck,
Kif
Old 10-03-2011, 07:13 PM

I find batiks always go together. Mckenna's patterns are tons of work, but lots of fun. I've made a couple; one was a kit, which was nice since all the fabrics were already picked; second one I did my own fabrics and wasn't that hard once I decided on the fabrics. I have several more of her patterns I want to make and will use my own fabrics. Batiks work great for her method of applique as they don't fray much for raw edge applique. Have fun with it.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Banned

word to the wise...take your patterns to Kinko's staples, what ever you have close and have them run a copy of the applique pages. that way you have your original and one to work from(cut out)...those tiny pieces have a way of falling into the trash, disappearing, etc ....

you will not have trouble changing colors...decide on your background first as you will use that the most, then find the colors you that require the most fabric..change those and then scrap up the rest with whatever you find that works!

have you tried to google the images for this pattern yet? or looked on Flickr???
Old 10-03-2011, 07:32 PM

Here is the new one for October-Bella Garden.Beautiful!
http://www.pineneedles.com/

Just as we change colors for quilt blocks/patterns, I can imagine someone can come up with a color range for changing the Pine Needles quilt. I have the moose and birch tree section of Calling Me Home, and I don't plan on using her exact fabrics to finish it.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:38 PM

What a darling pattern, I hadn't seen it before. I would just ditch the turquoise and make an autumn quilt with fallen leaves border or a mid-summer with a lovely little tree landscape fabric with adjustments to the panel colors. (Since owls are active at night, twilight and pre-dawn, the designer may have been trying for a misty, etherial, moon-lit scene.)