Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it me? >

Is it me?

Is it me?

Old 05-07-2014, 07:50 PM

The free Craftsy Block of the Month 2014 class is a color theory class. You don't have to make the blocks or quilt just listen to the monthly sessions. Lots of really good information for those who want some color and fabric instruction.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:06 AM

I know what your saying! Here is my tip... Choose fabrics that are part of a collection, takes the guess work out of it. Clothes... I choose what the mannequin is wearing.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:33 AM

If I'm having trouble picking colors for a quilt will ask the ladies at our LQS for assistance. Once they start helping I will usually find fabric that I like on my own. Sometimes it just takes that extra push to send me in the right direction.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:33 AM

Ha Ha Ha

Tulip----I mannequin shop also!

I'm going to check out the Craftsy class.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:36 AM

For years I made "idea books", just a three ring binder of things I cut out from magazines because I liked the project or the color combination or the pattern. If it was a full page I put it in a plastic page protector and if it was a small cut out I glued it to one of those page protectors with the sheet of black paper inside.I have boxes full of printouts from the computer of quilts and crafts that I like. May be for just the colors, the patterns, the shapes, etc. No one but me would probably get it, but it really has helped me to know how to mix colors and patterns.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

This is why i have turned to kits and bundles. My LQS puts together thing I would never think to do but they work. I find quilt shop owners/employees very helpful if I get stuck with a project.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:55 AM

Why don't you ask someone to help you ? I know at our quilt stores they are only too glad to help you. I do not expect that kind of help from Joann's or Hobby Lobby though.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:21 AM

At Joann's, I find that other shoppers are the best for help, including color opinions. I must have a friendly face because it's rare that I'm NOT asked a question when I'm there, and I've gotten helpful hints there from other customers too.

I love picking out fabrics and colors, either I'm just not picky or I have an eye for it because I rarely have trouble coming up with a color palate. My trouble is picking between so many options! But I really like a ton of colors - when it comes to quilts there is no color that's off the table for me.

I have taken some art classes, though - none specifically about color, but enough that I've studied basic color combinations and painted out my own color wheel using only primary colors that I had to mix myself. I keep thinking it'd be a lot of fun to make a scrappy color wheel out of fabric for my sewing room but I haven't gotten around to it.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:31 AM

I have a problem narrowing down choices sometimes too. Remember, this is not the last project you will make. There's not a lot of fabric involved in candle mats, so if they are not your absolute favorite of the whole world, no biggie. So just pick something and get sewing. Sooner or later, you'll run into fabric that you might like and / or would work better, but at least you won't have wasted all that time trying to find the "perfect" fabrics. Ask me how I know ! Haha!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:17 AM

I think every LQS has a personality-depending on the owner or the person responsible for stocking the store. As an example we went to two stores on Tuesday-celebrating my birthday. In one store I really connected with the atmospnere and found several things I wanted and purchases 1/2 yard or one yard of each because I know they will just fit in. In the other store the selection was very good and I am sure well coordinated but it was just not my thing and I left without purchasing anything. So, if you can go to other stores or look on line. When I look online I frequently shop by designer name because I have used other things from them and enjoyed them.