Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it me? >

Is it me?

Is it me?

Old 05-07-2014, 06:57 AM

Default Is it me?

I spend forever trying to find fabric. Nothing jumps out at me. I spent an hour yesterday trying to pick 4 fabrics for a candle mat.

Is it me? or should I try a different quilt shop?

Maybe I should read up on choosing fabrics?
Old 05-07-2014, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

If I get fabric blocked, I decide on a main color and then select a dark fabric, a med fabric, and light fabric and add to the each pile until I have enough to make my project.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:07 AM

I have trouble finding fabrics that work together too. I think we just need to do some research. There is a color chart that shows which colors compliment each other. Have you tried looking at a color wheel?
Old 05-07-2014, 07:08 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Sometimes the amount of fabric to chose from can be overwhelming!
Try finding a picture of anything in which you like the colors, then use that for inspiration.
Or pick one color and go to "google images" to search for quilts in that color. The pictures will show many, many quilts using that color with others.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:36 AM

Sometimes I just put a few little things together and make a pillow or some small project to break the log jam. I can get too caught up in getting right and then I don't get anything done.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:42 AM

You didn't mention where you were looking for fabric, but if it was at a big box retailer, you won't get much help or direction there. Instead, tap the resources at your local quilt shop; most employees are experienced quilters and would love to guide you in your fabric search. Before too long, you'll be the pro!
Old 05-07-2014, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

​My LQS has cute little colour coordinated fat quarter bundles that I sometimes grab for quick small projects. Since I am trying to shop my stash now, I bring in my main fabric and pick up a matching fabric if needed.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:03 AM

If you are lucky enough to have several LQSs in your area, get to know what styles of fabric they specialize in. Some shops have a lot of civil war and 30's fabrics; others, tons of batiks and Asian prints; still others, modern fabrics. I have also found that sometimes, especially if you are using solids, you have to go to several shops to find enough varying shades of certain colors. The LQS employees can be very helpful. I find that they will often find the perfect fabric that I would have overlooked because it didn't appeal to me. I have also learned that if you can't seem to find what you are happy with, just leave and try another shop or another day.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:21 AM

We have a LQS in San Diego that has 10,000 bolts - it is very hard for me to find a focus fabric there because I find so much. But once I have my main fabric I can go there for fabric to go with it. Maybe you should sit and look through a few websites and see if something suits you first.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:23 AM

I use pre-cuts or buy a fat quarter bundle from any online shop - takes a lot of guess work away and I always love the end result.