Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Meandering Quilting

I'm new to FMQ and trying out meandering quilting for the first time. Am I right to say that for meandering, it's just a series of S-shaped curves?

Is there a specific direction I should be moving the quilt? Up to down, left to right etc? I'm not moving in a fixed direction and sometimes crossed the lines accidentally. I also can't see where my hands are going and sometimes ended up in an awkward spot.

Does it matter how many times we start/end the stitches? Is it necessary to start/end only once on the entire quilt? As I can't really figure out where I'm moving the needle, I'm sometimes forced to end the stitches when I end at the same spot and had to start again in a new position.

Do I always need to start quilting in the middle of the quilt, or do I quilt from left to right?

I'm using a variegated thread for the top. Is this preferred over a neutral colour thread?

Wish I could help but need help myself.

Check out Leah Day at daystyledesigns.com she has lots of great tips. She can explain it a lot better then I ever could, English being my second language. Good luck. :thumbup:

meandering can be anything---meandering across your quilt- wavy lines- loop-d-loops, stars, flowers, meandering along.
    stippling is when no line touches or crosses.

you can do continuous line designs (where you do not ((see)) the starts/stops) or you can quilt each design individually- which ever you want- it's your project

if you like varigated threads and they are working for you in your machine by all means use them- they add wonderful movement and color to quilts.

it's normal to start in the middle- work out toward one direction- go back to center- work out in another direction- adjust as you go along until it's all quilted...the directions ect are what works for you...everyone does it a little differently- what is comfortable and (do-able) for you may be different for me.
    it does not matter how many times you start and stop- some quilts require alot of starts- some quilts you just do a continuous line design over it without regard to blocks-

I am going to echo the advice about watching the leah day videos. they are awesome. It answered so many questions for me. I watched all her videos about everything...

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advise on Leah Day! Love the uniqueness of them!

Blog Entries

ckcowl - I'm not sure about your definition of stipple and meander. I think stipple means the pattern is very close together and meander is larger and farther apart. Either one can cross over the lines if that's what you want on your quilt. I looked them up in the dictionary and of course the definitions were not in sewing terms but they still seem to make sense. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks, these pages provide loads of info!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam H
    ckcowl - I'm not sure about your definition of stipple and meander. I think stipple means the pattern is very close together and meander is larger and farther apart. Either one can cross over the lines if that's what you want on your quilt. I looked them up in the dictionary and of course the definitions were not in sewing terms but they still seem to make sense. Does anyone know for sure?
    From what I understand, stippling patterns are closer together, while meandering patterns are further apart. Stippling lines do not cross each other, while meandering may cross each other as in the form of loop de loops.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast