Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Measurements for a 9" hourglass block

Measurements for a 9" hourglass block

I am trying to make 9" hourglass blocks and I am trying to figure out how big I need to cut my fabric squares in order to make them come out to 9" after they are put together. Actually I guess they would need to be 9 1/2" with the seam allowance. They need to be 9" squares once they are sewn together. I have 9" 9 Patch blocks that I'm trying to match the hourglass blocks up to so that I can sew them all together into a quilt. I am horrible at figuring out how to get the right measurements when squares are cut diagonally to make triangles. Thank you.
    Skeeter-Bug

Usually you add 1 1/4" to the finished size but I prefer to cut 1 1/2" bigger then trim.
    So for your 9" block you would cut 10 1/4" (standard) or 10 1/2" if you want a little leeway.

Can you define what you mean by an hourglass block? I looked in EQ7 and they had 4 blocks with hourglass in the name, 3 with hour glass. I thought that an hourglass might be just a square with lines through the diagonals, but am not sure that's what you want. (In EQ I think that one was called 4-X.)

Blog Entries
    this is what i consider an hour glass block
    http://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2009/...-tutorial.html
    the first five links i clicked on were not.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    this is what i consider an hour glass block
    http://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2009/...-tutorial.html
    the first five links i clicked on were not.
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to make but I know you are supposed to add like 7/8 or something to the size. I get so confused. I just want the block to finish off at 9" when it's all sewn together in the quilt. So I need 4 triangles that sewn together will make a 9 1/2" block that will finish off at 9".
    Skeeter-Bug

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Can you define what you mean by an hourglass block? I looked in EQ7 and they had 4 blocks with hourglass in the name, 3 with hour glass. I thought that an hourglass might be just a square with lines through the diagonals, but am not sure that's what you want. (In EQ I think that one was called 4-X.)
    Nativetexan posted a link that is what I'm trying to make. Just 4 triangles sewn together of 2 different fabrics.
    Skeeter-Bug

I just need to know what size to cut the triangles.
    Skeeter-Bug

Blog Entries
    Technically, you would start with 10 1/4" squares and cut twice diagonally, but I would start with 10 1/2 and square up to size later, because mine never worm exactly. If you want to avoid dewing on those nasty cut bias edges, then try using this method to make the qst sets

http://www.patchwork-and-quilting.co...triangles.html
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
    Technically, you would start with 10 1/4" squares and cut twice diagonally, but I would start with 10 1/2 and square up to size later, because mine never worm exactly.
    Thank you!
    Skeeter-Bug