Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Measurements For Precuts

Measurements For Precuts

Does anyone know where I can find a standard list of measurements for precuts? I want a reference I can look at that will tell me how many charm packs, layer cakes, jelly rolls it takes to make different sizes of quilts. Thanks!

some printable charts to use for precuts:

http://www.modabakeshop.com/p/weights-and-measures.html
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

charm squares = 5"
    layer cakes = 10"
    fat quarters = 18" X (20-22") depending on width of fabric
    jelly rolls = 2 1/2" x (width of fabric) 40-42"
    postage stamps = 1 1/2" square
    i noticed some new ones at my lqs- i don't know what they were called but they were 2 1/2" squares.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

It seems there is no firm standard for sizing, number of pieces packaged together ... and the name of each.
    Variations have occurred as each company puts their own group together, for their own identity and mark in the industry!

In this link, I have included the sizes and names of these different precuts ....

Quilter's Dictionary & Acronyms ... a consolidation of previous posts
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    Keep in mind that a lot of precuts are labeled with terms that are specific to the brand. For instance, what Moda calls "jelly rolls" is the same as Timeless Treasure's "tonga treats". The Moda site listed above is a good one to use - as long as you're using Moda precuts.

When you purchase precuts, somewhere in the listing or on the package it should say what size the fabrics are cut and - this is important also - how many pieces are included. I'll never forget the time I thought I'd found a great deal on a jelly roll only to realize after I received it that it only had 20 strips, instead of 40.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Missouri Star Quilt Co. announced recently that all of their precuts will now have a standard number of pieces per pack. Some pieces may be duplicated if the fabric line doesn't have enough different ones, but it will be a standard number. This will apply to all of their new stock so for now you still have to read carefully until they sell out what they have. I think this will be an improvement.

Blog Entries
    beware I have gotten charm packs that are 4 and 7/8 or even 4 1/2. cutting is not always correct
    Patski
    always learning

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    beware I have gotten charm packs that are 4 and 7/8 or even 4 1/2. cutting is not always correct
    You should always check your precuts before you start. I remember some posts about earlier versions of Bali Pops being off. I haven't heard much recently, so maybe they are better now (they are hand cut, not by machine). I just used some Riley Blake strips that varied from 2-1/4 to 2-3/8 and I believe those are cut by machine. They were fine for my purposes, but could be a problem if your pattern requires exactly 2-1/2.

Thanks guys, I'm not the one who started the thread but appreciate the info.