Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Measuring a quilt after longarming >

Measuring a quilt after longarming

Measuring a quilt after longarming

Old 05-17-2016, 10:43 AM

Default Measuring a quilt after longarming

I am wondering if anyone measures the quilts before and after long arming them?

I seem to be loosing space in the center (vertically ) from top to bottom on each quilt as compared to the sides.

The manufacture is telling me this is normal.

I am wondering Is it normal? Does your center draw up 3/4 of an inch to 2 inches compared to the sides?

Ginny
Old 05-17-2016, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

It sure seems strange that it happens just in the middle. Could the edges be stretching due to red snappers or similar on the sides?
Old 05-17-2016, 10:53 AM

Whelp... My poles were delivered to me in an SUV, they were going from the dash board, over the seat, over the long arm box and to the opposite corner of the back... My poles are warped and the manufacture is telling me that it is my fault for pulling my quilt too tight. And that all SS poles have a range from 1/2 inch to 3/4 of an inch that can be distorted. When you get 4 poles all pulling the fabric different it does nasty things to the quilt! Anyway... They said it was normal and I want to find out if it is normal or they are feeding me a line of doo doo.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:01 AM

I have measured quilts before and after quilting and the difference in the size of the quilt is very slight. In my opinion there should not be much difference at all. There will be some since quilting the three layers causes that normal texture on the quilt surface. Sounds like something is wrong with your system, although I hate that for you.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

is the quilt quilted more densely in the center? that would definitely be a cause.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

Some drawing up is normal, just like with appliqué ( but a bit more due to extra thickness-- batting, backing) the " loftier" the batting the more - draw up- there will be. Density of stitching is a factor too.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Pewa88. I have not had much variance between before and after quilting even with a densely quilted quilt. maybe 1/2" but in my experience that has been both side to side and top to bottom and my measurement is usually the same no matter where on the quilt I measure. I can fix any small variances by blocking. If my quilt is nice and square going on, it is nice and square coming off. You say it is drawing up in the center only? So when you measure the length of the completed quilt you are getting a variance of 3/4 to 2" in the center part only?? For example you measure the side from top to bottom and it measures 90" then you measure the opposite side and it is also 90" but when you measure the center from top to bottom you are getting a different measurement?

You also have me confused with this statement: "When you get 4 poles all pulling the fabric different it does nasty things to the quilt! "
4 poles?? Even with a deadbar and loading the top (as opposed to floating the top) there are only two bars that are affecting the tension on the quilt, the take up roller and the roller your backing is rolled up on. The deadbar is not playing a role in it and neither is the roller that your top is on (assuming you did not float the top).

I have a 10 foot rack and my poles were delivered in a mini van, pretty much the way you described. But the poles are made out of powder coated steel and that would definitely not warp them in anyway.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Not sure I understand the problem exactly.

If you are not using side tensioners, this would cause the quilt to measure smaller across the middle when you are finished. However, this would be a horizontal measurement, not vertical. Also, since you mention 4 poles pulling on the quilt, I assume two of them are side tensioners.

If the shortness is in the middle running vertically, the only cause I can think of is that the poles are warping in the middle from the pressure put on them. How thick are your stainless steel poles? How long are they? And where did you get them? And what frame are they mounted on? I have 10' poles purchased from the hardware store mounted on a Hinterberg stretch frame (which is a very sturdy wood frame). I'd have to check with my husband, but I think they are galvanized steel, not stainless steel. I'd have to look up the inner and outer diameters to be accurate, but the outside diameter is something close to 1-3/4". The longer the poles, the more they are likely to warp in the middle from rolling a quilt. Also, the smaller the diameter of the poles, the more likely they are to warp. This is what makes me really curious to know where you got the poles.

It's true that you do not want to have a quilt too tightly tensioned in the frame. A rule-of-thumb is to be able to poke a finger up from underneath the quilt layers and be able to grasp that finger with the other hand. It's kind of a "floppy" tension. In other words, you do not want the quilt drum-tight. Even the side tensioners should not be pulled too taut.

You may have a combination of problems -- weak poles that bend in the middle as you roll the quilt and too-tight tensioning.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:55 PM

My poles are WARPED.. They were delivered that way. It is not because I lean on them or put too much pressure on them by rolling my quilt too tight. It was this way when I put my first quilt on the frame. When I quilt, because the poles are warped, I may get excess fabric on one side because the poles are more warped on the left side than the right side, This is where the poles went up over the seat, then back down to the back corner of the SUV. These poles should have been laid flat.
My last quilt, I started out with a perfectly square quilt. All measurements are the same on each vertically side and horizontally side @ 120". When I am done, the left vertical side is 108.25 Right is 108.25 the center is 107.5. My POLE bowes more on the left side and I have to really watch it. While quilting, I have to make sure my dead bar is turned a certain direction because it is the most warped and it if it is turned the wrong direction, when i get down to the center (horizontal) of the quilt, I will have over 1 inch of excess fullness to deal with , but if I keep the warp going in the right direction I don't have any excess to deal with. I baste and keep my quilt straight as I roll... But when I pull the quilt off the frame, It is always shorter in the center.
My poles are 12 ft. I got them with the machine from the dealer - new. I think I was their first customer, because the next time they came up, they had a metal box made to haul the poles in so they would lay flat and told us how important it was for them to lay flat.

The manufacture is trying to 1.) tell me that warped poles are with in the standard 2.) that I warped them by pulling too tight on my quilt... when I have shown them pictures of my first quilt on the frame and you can see the red snappers pulling up on the ends (because the pole is warped) I can assure you that I do not roll my quilts too tight! I stand at the side and watch the dead bar, if it pulls out any when I am tightening, I loosen the quilt.

They said they would replace the poles, however, I have to pay shipping... which is 350.00 one way and they want me to ship the other poles back. So I am looking at 700.00 in shipping , then they said "if they pass inspection" So I may have to pay for 322.00 for the poles...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]550212[/ATTACH]
In this picture you can see how much excess I had on the left side at the horizontal center of the quilt. This quilt was measured at the start and was square ! The center ended up 2 inches shorter in the center.. After this quilt, I removed the poles and was able to bend them down some, but still it is warped, just not as bad.

I have thought about getting other poles locally... What do you look for?
Attached Thumbnails 20k138.jpg  
Old 05-17-2016, 01:15 PM

Warped poles could certainly be your problem and I'm surprised you don't have puckers on the back or even the top. The poles would have to be pretty weak to be warped by a quilt loaded too tightly. I have an Avante and I couldn't bend the bars if I tried. Sounds like you're going to have to play hardball with the manufacturer. First, keep records of your phone calls and all the info you've given here. Call and demand to speak to the owner or the most senior person available. Demand the rails be replaced with no shipping charges or you're going to start naming the company on this site, with thousands of members, and every other quilting forum you can find. Hopefully, you paid for this with a credit card. Tell the company you will be placing the charge in dispute with the credit card company, and then do so. Tell them you will also be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in their area and do that as well. I really hate lousy customer service like this. Did you say anything to the person making the delivery? Good luck.