Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Med  arm sewing question >

Med arm sewing question

Med arm sewing question

Old 02-05-2011, 09:22 PM

I have med arm quilting machine that I am looking to purchase a Grace Sure Stitch or Quilter Curse Control. My question is which one is the best investment? I'm looling for stitch lenght and control for more uniform stitching. Help please. Thank you. Josister
Old 02-05-2011, 09:50 PM

I have a sure-stitch with my Juki 98Q (mid arm). My understanding is that the cruise control is a speed control, but NOT a stitch regulator. This is the difference:

A stitch regulator makes sure that your stitches are regular regardless of how fast or slow you go. The stitch regulator only works on a frame, however. You didn't say whether or not you were using a frame.

The speed control controls the speed of the stitching on your machine- it does not make your stitches regular- you still need to move at a constant speed to get an even stitch.

To me, it sounds like you want the Sure Stitch. I was told I wouldn't need it, but I really like having it. It makes my quilting so much more even. Perhaps, as I get more practiced, I won't need it, but I appreciate having it now.

Hope this helps!

PS- The Grace Company is fabulous to deal with. I had trouble with mine, and with one 5 minute phone call, they solved the problem. (I had one of the wheels set wrong, which they knew immediately when I described my problem.). They are helpful and pleasant and very very helpful- explaining things over the phone really clearly.

good luck.
Maggie
Old 02-05-2011, 09:53 PM

Thank you for your fast response.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:08 AM

I have a QCC on my Juki and it regulates the stitches, my stitches are same no matter how fast or slow I go
Old 02-06-2011, 04:26 AM

I wish they made a QCC for my machine. I have a Bailey and to my understanding, the stitch regulator that you can buy for it has not had the best of results :(

I'm going to finally learn to use my machine starting this weekend... I actually had to reconfigure the frame yesterday to take off the robotic quilter. It had been so long since I used it and I got frustrated and figured it would take me less time to learn to use the machine without than with it lol.

I've been told that if you put a sheet sandwich on the frame and start quilting - anything, words, stippling, pictures whatever - by the time you get to the bottom of the quilt your stitches will be even. I'm going to see if that is actually true or not. One of the WOW machine owners told me that. They are really great people...

Oohhh! That reminds me - the reason why I started posting - Contact Wow machines and ask if the machine you have or are getting if it can be stretched and if the QCC will work on it after it has been stretched... this way you won't have to lose your investment if you get your machine stretched ;)
Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 PM

so much info here it is great
Old 02-06-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Josister
I have med arm quilting machine that I am looking to purchase a Grace Sure Stitch or Quilter Curse Control. My question is which one is the best investment? I'm looling for stitch lenght and control for more uniform stitching. Help please. Thank you. Josister
Quilter Curse Control? I need that!