Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Memorial quilt for miscarriage >

Memorial quilt for miscarriage

Memorial quilt for miscarriage

Old 08-18-2016, 03:03 PM

Default Memorial quilt for miscarriage

My daughter is currently miscarrying my 8th grand baby. She was only 8 weeks along but she wants to memorialize this little one and possibly even name it. She is so very sad at the moment. This would have been her fourth, and was unplanned but was still very excited about having another little one. I mentioned making a tiny quilt and she could write something for the label, which I will print up on my embroidery machine.
Has anyone ever done this? Is there a good pattern to maybe use. I suppose just about anything would do. Do you all have any suggestions?

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 08-18-2016, 03:15 PM

So sorry about the sad news....I would make a miniature quilt maybe of 1/2" postage stamp design or 1" half triangles that is made in all white of satin, lace, eyelet, cotton, embellished with baby name in white embrodery,. i would add 3 dimensional things like pearl buttons, white ribbons, etc . My finished size would be about 11" x 14". Few can imagine your daughters pain. Prayers and hugs all around.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:18 PM

I did make a small remembrance quilt -- larger than a placemat but smaller than a baby quilt. I had a local store embroider the name, date, etc and then bordered it and quilted. My cousin lost her baby at birth. She was very thankful that I thought of it.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:21 PM
MCH

You're on a tough and heartbreaking path just now. It.just.hurts. Please accept my sympathy. You will do the best and right thing for your daughter and for yourself, I'm sure. Be patient and give and accept support along the way.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:55 PM

Gayle,
My deepest sympathies are with you & your family. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Here is a link to a very sweet charity that makes Angel Baby wraps. They have patterns for quilted wraps for when the little one is delivered, burial wraps & tiny quilts. I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for; if not, please excuse my ignorance. I had one lady from our church who received one of these as a gift to wrap her stillborn baby in. It had the baby's name on it, her date of conception & the date they did the D&C, plus her parents' favorite Bible verse. I know how much it meant to the mother to receive the gift and to be able to wrap her daughter up in a tiny, beautiful quilt.
http://www.with-heart-and-hands.com/2011/08/angel-wraps-and-preemie-blankets.html

Because they buried their daughter in that quilt, a few quilters got together & asked the parents if they had purchased any clothes when they learned they were expecting -- they gathered together some items -- onesies, a cloth diaper, a receiving blanket & a pair of knitted booties and turned them into a small memory quilt (maybe 15x15"). They didn't use a pattern for that; they just cut a 15x15" piece of muslin as a foundation & crazy quilted the different fabrics down to it & then tacked the booties on last.

Sending wishes for peace & healing to you and your daughter.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:26 PM

I made a bereavement quilt for my nephew. He was all of 7" long at 21 weeks' gestation. Since there's Irish on both sides of the family, I used shamrock fabric and also cut up my favorite green blouse. I wanted baby David to be wrapped in something special to me. I stitched his birth date, name and the words "We love you dearly, David" on the lower front corner. My sister was really touched by the quilt. She put it in a memory box with other little things that he never got to wear or play with.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:08 AM

I'm so sorry for her and the family's loss. It's sad when one's life has been snuffed out at such an early age, whether gestational or otherwise. I've never heard of anyone making a quilt in remembrance of a gestational loss. I've heard of remembrance quilts for older individuals, but why not? If that's how she wants to/needs to grieve. So be it. Very caring of you to offer.

Will you somehow honor her other losses too in that quilt? Not sure if that is something she's be accepting of, or if it's just for this little one... Any loss is hard. No matter what number it is. Maybe as, this may have been her last one? Not really knowing all circumstances; her age, the ages of her other ones here and in heaven...

We never know what is to be, rather who is to actually make it to this world, in which form. Sometimes the wee ones who don't, have a big impact on us and others. I hope she's doing as well as can be expected. I wish her and your family well in this time of loss.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:19 AM
Power Poster

Please extend my condolences. I've had 2 miscarriages many decades ago and remember them like yesterday. I'm sure she'll be please with your selection.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:28 AM
Power Poster

My daughter miscarried/stillbirth at 23 weeks. she asked for a quilt to bury with tiny Meridith. I made a very simple patchwork in the requested colors. it was only large enough to cover an egg carton sized coffin. Meridith's initials were embroidered on the quilt. Actually, I made two of them just alike. One was buried with Meridith and the other hangs on the wall between the formal pictures of the other 4 children.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

Jim, my granddaughter lost a baby at 13 weeks on April 25 of this year. It was her second and she was devastated. She has a little boy 2 years old. Her father gave her a little elephant and said, "This is for Skye". My husband put it in a plexiglas case and put it on a purple stand with a holder around the elephants waist The plaque said, Skye Loggins, April 25, 2016. On the second line it said "Fly High Little Angel". It put some meaning to this child. We are of the belief that it is a child from moment of conception. Having lost 3, I can grieve with your daughter. It is something you never really recover from. GOD Bless her during this time. Her baby is with the angels.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]556303[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails skye-elephant.jpg