Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Memory quilt - freaking out >

Memory quilt - freaking out

Memory quilt - freaking out

Old 02-19-2011, 09:25 AM

please don't think upsetting is always bad. Yes, they will cry. first, because they miss husband/dad. second because of the love you put into every stitch of that quilt using dad's clothing. third because. just because. But they will have the quilt to wrap up in as they cry and that will be the most comfort anyone can give.

Laurie
Old 02-19-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
Okay, well, freaking out might be an exaggeration, but not by much. I am making a memory quilt for the son of a friend. His dad was killed in an accident in July. I'm making the quilt out of his dad's shirts. I have the shirts. I have the pattern. I've tested the blocks. I bought backing fabric.

Now I need to get going if I want to have the quilt done in time for his birthday in March, but the box of fabrics, templates, pattern, etc is sitting there and I am procrastinating. I've cut into a few of the shirts, and made a grand total of three blocks - two pieced, one plain, of the 108 blocks that I'll need. I get very anxious because I'm afraid I'm going to mess it up and make something that will be painful to the kid and his mom instead of comforting.

I want to do this quilt. I volunteered to do this quilt. I love the idea of this quilt, but I am having a hard time just doing the cutting.

I'm not sure what I'm asking for here. I just really need to get it out, I guess.

God bless you for this wonderful gift you are going to make. Calm down and realize, yes this is very important, but it's the love that goes into it that helps makes it even precious. It will be beautiful when you do it, just calm down and it will all come together beautifully.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:36 AM

Right now it is probably harder for you to cut the shirts, afraid of mesdsing up, than it will be for them to receive it. Blessings to you and them.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:57 AM

i think what you are doing is great
Old 02-19-2011, 11:01 AM

also, maybe you're just feeling so sad while you work on it? you were a friend, so do not discount you and what your feelings are.

Laurie
Old 02-19-2011, 11:28 AM

Due to the circumstances around the death is most likely that the first sight of the quilt may make them cry. It will have nothing to do with the quilt, but with the fact that they are still mourning and will be for a long time. Eventually the quilt will be comforting. What you are doing is wonderful. It will be difficult at first, but will easier. They are lucky to have a friend that understand how they feel.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:11 PM

You are doing a wonderful thing! Try not to put too much pressure on yourself. However it turns out just remember you are doing it out of love so it will be "JUST RIGHT" Take a deep breath and do one block at a time....it will be Great!!!
Old 02-19-2011, 03:51 PM

My friend made a memory quilt for my husband using t-shirts/sweatshirts from things our husbands had done together. Her husband died three years ago, and we were all moved to tears by the quilt. They were good tears, though.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:10 PM

It is a wonderful thing you are doing. Just take a deep breath and sew. You may cry and they will cry, but it is healing. There are stages you need to go through in grief, and the feelings are there no matter what anyone says or doesn't say, the memories are still there. The wife/mother gave you the shirts, so she is probably looking forward to seeing the quilt. Good luck and post pictures when you are done. Looking forward to seeing it.
Sue
Old 02-19-2011, 04:17 PM

I think there is a lot of memories for you too. Perhaps just doing a bit each day and adding a bit more each week so you can finish. If you don't finish it by the birthday, perhaps it will be loved just as much a few weeks later......