Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Memory quilt  Question >

Memory quilt Question

Memory quilt Question

Old 04-15-2010, 03:04 PM

I have a friend who is almost part of my family, she passed away acouple weeks ago. Janey's Daughters are Half sister to my oldest sister's DIL. Her Daughter,she has 2 so there will be 2 quilts,ask me to make a memory quilt from Her clothes they are going thru. Her stuff a little at a time. I told Her I would be honored to do so,Janey was a special lady. They want to pay me and I refused. Since all of her clothes will be mailed,ups or whatever from Fl. to Ga. I gave instructions on how much batting,explained the diff. kinds. How much thread,aprox. She wants to use Her moms Fave. sheets as backing. I said that will work as I am going to do it on the machine. I prefer them to pay and buy what I need cause I don't want any pay and they will feel I should get some pay if I buy, so this way it takes that completly out of the picture.
Twin size is what I am going to make. I need something fast but nice. I thought of the Disappearing 9 patch. I have never done on of these. Question is it difficult to make and is it pretty fast. Since it is a mem. quilt it will not be used. I am going to use the sheet backing as the binding.
Instead of the D9P should I just make a 9 patch and be done.
Give me some suggestions Please!!!!!
BillsBonBon
Old 04-15-2010, 03:09 PM

You may want to do a bordered block depending on the amount of difference in the fabrics that you receive. That way you could have a little seperation between them and if layed out correctly you could make the center one in the lighest fabrics to form a cross.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:11 PM

The idea came from this lady's post
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-35193-1.htm
Old 04-15-2010, 03:12 PM

The only memory quilt I ever made was a simple 9 patch. There were so many fabrics I wanted to incorporate, it seemed the best way. You might want to wait to see how much they send you before you decide on a pattern.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:16 PM

the D9P is very easy. this like is to a picture tutorial that is great!
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-40144-1.htm
Old 04-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

How thoughtful of you to make the quilts .

Until you get the clothes and see what you have to work with it is really hard to make suggestions. I wish you luck on finding the perfect pattern. Keep us posted
Old 04-15-2010, 05:24 PM

My DM & I are in process of making a memory quilt from her second cousin's clothes and we're just making a simple 9-patch because of all the different fabrics that were given to us. We're also using photos thruout the years too! I live in LAKELAND, FL.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:22 AM

I, personally, would wait to see the kinds and amount of fabric that you receive. Something might pop out at you automatically. One question. Are you going to be putting any photos into this? If so, then stars, attic windows are also great for this.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:22 AM

I have been commissioned to do this exact same thing.... I was wondering these same questions.... I was thinging of just squares depending on how many items of clothing I recieve. Looks like we are off to the races with this one BONBON....
Old 04-16-2010, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
My DM & I are in process of making a memory quilt from her second cousin's clothes and we're just making a simple 9-patch because of all the different fabrics that were given to us. We're also using photos thruout the years too! I live in LAKELAND, FL.
My husbands family lives in WinterHaven & Auborndale FL. My Moms twin Brother and Her Youngest Bro. Now deceased Lives in Plant City, FLa. What a small world!!!!
The one I am makeing the quilt for lives in Pahokee,Fla.or Canal Point,Fl. don't really remember which.Those 2 little towns is where I grew up went to school,raised my 2 daughters. Where I was at when Hurricane Jeanne went over. Now here In Lakeland,Ga. :lol: :lol: :lol:
BillsBonBon