Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Memory Quilts

Careful what you wish for...
    My quilt guild had a presentation in January about Memory Quilts - made from a deceased person's favorite clothes. The ones I saw were New York Beauties, and they were gorgeous. I thought to myself, I wonder if anyone will ever ask me to make one of those?

The very next day Laura asked me could I make 4 quilts from her late best friend's scrub tops?

I explained that I would need a lot of other fabrics to make 4 lap size or better quilts from 6 scrub tops. Well, she went shopping and brought back 28 1/4 yards of fabrics she knew Dena would have loved.

Ya'll I am talking about every kind of print under the sun! Large ears of corn, farm animals, lighthouses, lemons, dragonflies, florals, you name it, that's what she brought. (It made me think of the Quilters' Challenges on Simply Quilts when I said to myself "Good Lord, what could anyone do with that bunch of scraps?")

Of course I smiled and said I would do my best. Mentally kicking myself for letting her shop unsupervised for this project. :x

So I am making the best of this. I am attaching a photo of the third one I have miraculously stretched from those 1/4 yards and 6 scrub tops (and major raiding of my stash!) Its on my design board and not stitched together yet.

I am only showing it here, cause I don't plan to lay claim to these in the future. Go ahead and laugh if you want! I have to laugh these myself. But I know she will be delighted to get the finished projects and give them to Dena's two kids and grandchild. Laura is keeping one for herself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I never would have thunk it from the fabrics you were describing :shock: , but that looks GOOD. You are a genius!

Thanks, Norah. And I like your motto. I have to keep that in mind when I am critical of my work.

Making quilts will be a lot more fun if I remember it doesn't have to be perfect!

Blog Entries
    if i laugh at that quilt it's in pure delight, i assure you. i just love it, love it, love it.

when can we see the others?

That looks great - you really rose to the challenge!

I would love to have a quilt that is that bright and cheery. I especially like the white that holds it all together. :-)

You had better lay claim on those....this one is wonderful! I am sure the others are just as fantastic! Thank you for rising to her request and delivering a stunning example of quilting and memories!

All these fellow quilters, so full of encouragement and advice! I am so thankful to have this quiltingboard to go to.

I never knew I could have so many friends so quickly!

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

Uh, so where's the problem you were referring to?? :shock:

That's very pretty & cheerful!! If her friend would have liked the fabrics, then it will mean just that much more to the recipients because they will think of her in a fond way helping to ease them through the grief. You did good... no, you did great!! Hold your head high & be proud. You served her memory well.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmaker101
    All these fellow quilters, so full of encouragement and advice! I am so thankful to have this quiltingboard to go to.

I never knew I could have so many friends so quickly!

Thanks for all the positive feedback!
    We are NOT your friends... We are your COMPETITION!

Wait.. No ... no... don't hit me Patrice, please don't hit me... I am sorry. I didn't mean it....

Nice work. I mean it... Noooo Patriceeeeeeeeee.........

tim in san jose

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast