Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Memory quilts >

Memory quilts

Memory quilts

Old 09-10-2015, 08:50 AM

Question Memory quilts

I have been volunteered to make memory quilts for my siblings from my mother's clothing, I thought I had a plan and in the mean time have lost a brother. I have since come up with a bright idea of making the quilt from fabric that represents each of us. Dad smoked a pipe, Mom liked owls, I like cows, one lives in New Orleans, One is a nurse, one liked Doxies and another Raccoons. Thus I have 7 different materials to work with and am going to border the throws with a piano key border from Mom's clothing. My dilemma is I can't come up with any ideas for the blocks from the 7 different fabrics. I am planning on an off white for the background. Any ideas would be helpful.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:15 AM

I think you could do most any block but would look for something that has ample space to show off the focal fabric (ie. square in a square) Then I'd use a sashing around each block, it would separate the blocks but it would pull the whole quilt together.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:20 AM

I would use different sample blocks and sash together with a neutral. That way you could choose the block that most let you showcase a particular fabric. You can search for the size of the block that you want to make and choose from many different ones.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:08 AM

The BBQ patterns from Maple Tree Quilts would work well to showcase the individual fabrics. You could also use your mom's clothing for the sashing.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:38 AM

How about attic windows? A window representing each one of you.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:20 PM

A sampler block for each person would be nice. Let the background fabric and sashing tie it together. I also like LoriEl's idea of attic windows.