Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Memory Quilts that You've Made >

Memory Quilts that You've Made

Memory Quilts that You've Made

Old 01-21-2011, 04:46 PM

My husband died 6 years ago...I just last year was able to start making quilts from the clothes that I had saved...the first one made is for my youngest son...it uses a lot of my husband's jeans, some of his flannel shirts, and I had many photos transferred to fabric that I appliqued on to the denim. The center of the quilt is from the back of a jacket from where my husband worked. It is almost done being quilted.

I hope that I can attach a picture sometime. I just got a digital camera for christmas, and am learning to use it, and still need to learn how to upload pictures to the computer. My oldest son still doesn't know if he wants a quilt, and if he does, what he wants, so the next quilt probably will be for myself, and then depending on how much material is left, will make quilts for his siblings.

It was hard starting the quilt, but once I got started it was very healing.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:54 PM

Check out http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-79013-1.htm for a quilt I made for my SIL. 40 family pictures printed on muslin; sashed, bordered and bound with flannel. It took months, probably did every seam at least twice, flannel does stretch, but DSIL loved it.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Jim

I have made well over 100 memory quilts...of course its part of my inhome business...my avatar i a quilt made from my Dad's shirts...he died in 2003 and I just was able to worked with them this year I gave it to one of my sisters...Tomorrow I getting clothing from a Dear dear friend of mine who past 4 weeks ago. She was a big part of my life and helped me grow into the person I am.I owe her alot. I worked with her before I had to retire and we belonged to the same church. She called me the son she never had. I am making a quilt for each of her two daughters in her memory and as a "Thank You" for what she meant to me.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:09 PM

ginnie6 - Wow! I like the pattern you chose. How beautiful it turned out. It must have been wonderful for you to give such a precious gift.

Patchsamkim - I'm sorry about the loss of your husband. I know what you mean about starting the quilt. After my Dad passed it was hard to look at his clothes. I'm glad that making this quilt has been healing for you. I hope that you can attach the picture.

Cosyquilter - Ooooooo!! How beautiful, what a treasure. I'm glad you shared the link with a picture - thanks.

Jim - I know the quilt you made from your Dad's shirts is so special to you. Your sister will treasure this precious quilt. I am sorry about the loss of your friend. I hope that working on her quilt for her daughters brings you comfort. It will mean the world to them.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:14 PM

Here is one I made for my friend whose son died in Afghanistan last year. It was an easy pattern but one of the hardest projects I've ever undertaken. I think I cried all the way through it.
Oops, I can't figure out how to rotate the pic.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-165283.jpe  
Old 01-21-2011, 08:27 PM

PamS - How sad. I understand what you mean about crying your way through it. But in the end you made a beautiful and special gift for your friend.

I have a friend whose son deployed to Afghanistan right before Christmas. He's 25 and has been in the service since he was 18. I keep him and my friend in my prayers.

I think if you right click your mouse you'll see rotate, select it and your pic will move sideways for you.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:30 AM

Pam - I should have said right click your mouse to do this.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:54 AM

I made a memory quilt for my cousin who was retiring from the Army. His wife had saved all his t-shirts from basic to all the places he served. It was truly the most rewarding thing I had done. He was surprised and still thanks me for it! God Bless our military and the U.S.A!
Old 01-22-2011, 07:58 AM

kraftinkween - I can certainly understand why you say this is the most rewarding thing you have ever done. What a wonderful way to show respect and appreciation to your cousin and what a beautiful surprise for him :-D I'm sure he appreciates the quilt and the love that went into it. Yes, God Bless our military, their families and the U.S.A.

Do you have a picture?
Old 01-23-2011, 05:44 PM

My Dad died 5 yrs ago. My mother could not bear to part with his clothes. About 6 months ago, I asked Mama if she would like me to make her a quilt out of Daddy's clothes. I thought it would be a "comfort" for her to have this. She loved the idea. However, once I brought his clothes home with me, it took me several months to work through cutting up Daddy's clothes. It was a mental thing for me. I cried as I cut and asked Daddy to forgive me for cutting his clothes. I had to keep reminding myself that the end result will be a comfort to my Mom. Working on this quilt has also been a healing for me. I can hardly wait to get it finished for Mama.