Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Memory Quilts that You've Made >

Memory Quilts that You've Made

Memory Quilts that You've Made

Old 01-23-2011, 06:09 PM

Memory quilts are what got me started learning how to quilt. My mother, who died in 2007, had saved fabric scraps from clothes she made for me & my 2 brothers when we were kids (we are now 52, 50 & 46). She always said she was going to make quilts for us. Well, she never got them made & when she died I inherited the boxes of fabric. I knew I wanted to make my quilt & both my brothers have since said that they would be honored to have theirs, from Mom, via me. So, Sept 09 I took my first quilt class, have made 5 quilts since then, and this spring plan to open up those boxes and get started on our memory quilts. I can't wait, because I will be sewing them using my moms Singer 403 that I also inherited. I know that she will be there right by my side as I make them.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:42 PM

Made a a musical memory quilt for my daughter as she turned 40 this year. Her daughter and I, along with Danielle belong to a Sweet Adelines Chorus, All the ladies decorated a block and she now has memories of her time with this chorus. She is alo a music teacher, So notes were a part of the design.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:40 PM

NannySandy - What a precious gift to make for your Mom. I'm glad it is bringing you comfort to work on this quilt for her. I know what you mean about having a hard time cutting into your Dad's clothes for the quilt. I am cutting denim for a rag quilt and was soooooo happy to have 2 of my Dad's denim shorts to use. But when I went to cut them I hesitated, it felt wrong. Like you I reminded myself that this will be made into a quilt that will be used for many years :D I hope you share a picture of it when it's finished.

QuiltnCowgirl - What a blessing that you get to sew your quilts on your Mom's sewing machine! I know your Mom will be smiling over you while you work on your quilts. It must mean a lot to you to make these quilts for your brothers and it's good to know they are looking forward to having these quilts and the meaning behind them. Maybe you could share pictures of them when they are done?

I still have my Dad's shirts hanging in the sewing room closet. I will make a quilt from them.

Pat P - Wow! What a cool quilt. I bet you daughter is thrilled to have it :-D It must have been a fun quilt to make. Do you have a picture you could share?
Old 01-23-2011, 09:12 PM

Scrap Happy yes I wll post pictures of it just to show new quilters what to watch out for when doing directional quilts. Normally I would be too intimidated but since there are no quilt police here maybe it will help newcomers to quilting. Daughter was pleased== had enough scraps to make her and granddaughter two bowtuck purses.