Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A memory from your childhood - what kind of quilt comes to mind? >

A memory from your childhood - what kind of quilt comes to mind?

A memory from your childhood - what kind of quilt comes to mind?

Old 12-12-2016, 03:34 PM

My grandmothers did both tie and quilted quilts. I never even saw a 'blanket' till years after we moved away from them. To this day I prefer quilts.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:19 PM

I prefer sleeping under quilts too. I just don't care for blankets.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:22 PM

My grandma's the big heavy ones. When visiting we would sleep 3 or 4 in a bed. You had to get comfortable because you could not move with the weight of those quilts on you. Ahh nice cold Wisconsin winters made warm by grandma
Old 12-12-2016, 06:00 PM

My favorite has hand appliquéd morning glory blocks sashed with pink, made by Mom before she was married in 1942. I had it on my single iron bed growing up. I still have quilt ( in storage right now )and the bed that is way over 100 yrs old, in our spare bedroom so I see it every day.

Also have 3 beauties ( yellow, blue, green) made by Grandma. Small family, so I was given all the goodies!
Old 12-12-2016, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by carolinacurl View Post
Both my grandmothers sewed quilts. One made quilts that were so heavy you could hardly breath under them lol. My grandpa sold them to long haul truck drivers. My other grandmother made beautiful quilts - the one in particular that I loved was her Sunbonnet Sue and Sam quilts. Back then we called them Dutch Doll Quilts. My sewing machine is on order and that is the first quilt I want to make. I am getting back to quilting after 30 years. I was much younger then and they were easy quilts to do. I got out of quilting when I got hooked on the internet playing games in the 90s.

Another memory from the 1950s is that both my grandmothers went to quilting bees held at a neighbor's old 2 story house. I was lucky that both my grandmothers were also my neighbors too, so I had the best of both worlds. A wonderful memory! Merry Christmas e1! I hope all your Christmas wishes are fulfilled.
Me too. In fact I still have two of them. Outside layer is wool suiting and I have no idea what was used for batting. But I sure remember on each under one you never moved again.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:35 PM

My father's mother made beautiful quilts. I have one she made for me with a matching doll quilt. She fussy cut the pieces and pieced it and quilted it by hand. I also have the double wedding ring she made which was probably one of her last quilts. I always remember my mother getting it out and letting me look at it and pointing out how tiny her stitches were. I still look at vintage hand quilted quilts and compare the quilting to hers.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:38 PM

My aunt was an antiques quilt dealer. Her home was full of earth tone ones, heavy in weight, and oh so cozy on her great big feather bed. She still decorates her bed & breakfast in quilts (Casa Pacifica in Santa Fe, NM).
Old 12-12-2016, 06:59 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

None of my grandmothers or great-grands or my mom quilted. In fact I actually taught my mom to quilt in the mid 1990s. But I have one memory of a quilt that is now in the Museum at Colonial Williamsburg, dated ca. 1780 by them, and that was made by Martha Frances Dabney Collier about 6 generations ago. Dad brought it home, having received it through a distant relative, and spread it out on their bedroom floor. I, at 9 years old, remember looking at it and thinking, "Huh, What's all the fuss about?" Forward 5 decades, and I was the one who donated out family quilt to Colonial Williamsburg.

Jan in VA

This picture doesn't show the bits of really lovely rose and intense aqua in the appliques of this quilt.
Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails collier-quilt-wmsburg-smaller.jpg  
Old 12-12-2016, 07:09 PM

My paternal grandmother had quilts, but I never saw her quilting or sewing. They lived in an old farmhouse where only the living room and kitchen were heated in the winter. When I was small, they would put about 4 of us to a bed under a ton of quilts in the unheated bedrooms. The sheets were so cold that you didn't dare move all night once you made a warm spot.

I remember the quilting frame at my maternal grandmother's house hanging from the ceiling in the winter. The aunts and older cousins would all sit around the quilt and sew while they visited. I now recognize that they were quilting the Baptist fan pattern. I don't remember sleeping there in the winter, but I remember sleeping on a pallet of quilts in the summer with lots of other cousins. She had a stack of quilts about 5 ft. high in a closet that came out when company came for the night.

Grandmother always made us flannel nightgowns for Christmas on her treadle sewing machine.

bkay
Old 12-12-2016, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
None of my grandmothers or great-grands or my mom quilted. In fact I actually taught my mom to quilt in the mid 1990s. But I have one memory of a quilt that is now in the Museum at Colonial Williamsburg, dated ca. 1780 by them, and that was made by Martha Frances Dabney Collier about 6 generations ago. Dad brought it home, having received it through a distant relative, and spread it out on their bedroom floor. I, at 9 years old, remember looking at it and thinking, "Huh, What's all the fuss about?" Forward 5 decades, and I was the one who donated out family quilt to Colonial Williamsburg.

Jan in VA

This picture doesn't show the bits of really lovely rose and intense aqua in the appliques of this quilt.
Jan in VA
Wow, Jan in VA!!! That is an incredible piece of history! Thanks for sharing your story.