Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A memory from your childhood - what kind of quilt comes to mind? >

A memory from your childhood - what kind of quilt comes to mind?

A memory from your childhood - what kind of quilt comes to mind?

Old 12-12-2016, 04:22 AM

Default A memory from your childhood - what kind of quilt comes to mind?

Both my grandmothers sewed quilts. One made quilts that were so heavy you could hardly breath under them lol. My grandpa sold them to long haul truck drivers. My other grandmother made beautiful quilts - the one in particular that I loved was her Sunbonnet Sue and Sam quilts. Back then we called them Dutch Doll Quilts. My sewing machine is on order and that is the first quilt I want to make. I am getting back to quilting after 30 years. I was much younger then and they were easy quilts to do. I got out of quilting when I got hooked on the internet playing games in the 90s.

Another memory from the 1950s is that both my grandmothers went to quilting bees held at a neighbor's old 2 story house. I was lucky that both my grandmothers were also my neighbors too, so I had the best of both worlds. A wonderful memory! Merry Christmas e1! I hope all your Christmas wishes are fulfilled.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:27 AM

The one that sticks in my mind is a Dresden plate that covered my sister's and my bed. There were others, my GM was a quilter and we lived in a drafty old farmhouse so we needed the quilts for warmth
Old 12-12-2016, 04:48 AM

My mother made "Trip around the world" quilts for all 12 of her grandchildren. She tied her quilts, and they were all so soft and cuddly.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:03 AM

My mother had a double wedding ring on her bed and when it was nap time I would lay on her bed and look at the different materials.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:06 AM

Red umbrellas on a white background. Hand quilted using the old quilting patterns for each block.

I make minis out of scraps for my grandmoggies.

Kid gets themed lap quilts. They start as raggies and each block is quilted using the old patterns like my grandmother. The fabric is usually the main star of the quilt. Quilt is not pieced.

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 12-12-2016 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:28 AM
Banned

My grandmother's crazy quilt, all velvets and satins, lots of hand embroidery, thick and heavy. I was allowed to sleep under it when I stayed with her. I loved that quilt.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

As a kid growing up, the only true quilt we had in the house was my older sister's quilt that her godmother made for her. It was an embroidery quilt with all 50 state birds and state flowers alternated with pink gingham blocks. I loved that quilt and all the pretty bird and flower embroidery.

Recently I found the Aunt Martha's transfer set that was used to make the embroidery blocks and one of these days I hope to make it.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:19 AM

Not a quilting background. Grandparents emigrated from Poland...we had comforters filled with goose feathers.......I have a memory of helping my one grandmother pull those downy feather fronds from the quills...
but I do remember MY first quilt (sort of). Out of high school, working in an office, into sewing clothes...had a lot of scraps of all sorts of material, so one day, I guess I was bored, cut them into squares, sewed together (5/8" seam), bordered and made myself a "bedspread". Was not introduced to the real thing until much later- from a very talented neighbor.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

Helping my maternal grandmother with holiday cooking and a little hand sewing/embroidery and learning how to crochet from my paternal grandmother. She taught me and my other cousins how to crochet and together we all had a hand in making a beautiful tablecloth. My one cousin was able to use it on her bridal party table.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:30 AM

No one if my family sewed quilts, but both my grandmother and mother sewed our clothes. However my grandmother did make me a doll quilt, simple 4" squares, made out of double knit fabrics (this was the early 60's!!) probably from old double knit pantsuits! I still have it, it will last forever........