Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Men Quilting >

Men Quilting

Men Quilting

Old 05-17-2011, 01:08 AM

I love looking at all the quilts made by our male quilters. They look at things differently and it comes out in the colors and pattern selection. Makes me want to step outside of my little box.'

Mary
Old 05-17-2011, 02:02 AM

My husband quilts! luckily we have very different styles he is currently exploring applique and embroidery on flannel and is just planning a 'dragon' quilt with embroidery and applique on cotton! So far he has not been too keen to play on the Longarm just yet but its only a matter of time! lol
Old 05-17-2011, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by MyWifeMadeME
How many men on here quilt? Husbands? We have a long arm and am having trouble getting enthused. Any ideas???
Go to Manquilter.com and talk to Matt!!!! If he can't "enthuse" you....nobody can!!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 03:32 AM

I did not see Bills name. My DW GF was a chief and quilted
Old 05-17-2011, 03:36 AM

I would love a long arm - such different design possibilities. However, the price is fairly prohibitive here and one really needs to get heaps of business to pay for it. If I could afford one I'd be practising as many fancy variations of feathers that I could. Making a wholecloth would be exciting - especially if the fabric was black with bright coloured cotton sewn for the quilting.I would also like to try the black - light or fluorescent threads on the quilt as well.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:41 AM

I forgot to mention I used to work at a LQS and there was a man who there worked part time who did LAQ. His work was gorgeous. He was originally from Colorado and made the prettiest southwestern quilts too.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:42 AM

My husband is my Quality Control person.. he cuts off all the threads and checks all my seams etc... He is great on picking out colors and telling me what works and what does not work.. He is a computer analyst and he can do math in his head so whenever I need help figuring out how much yardage or whatever he is there for me... Also he knows what a fat quarter is and loves going to quilt shows and quilt shops!!
Keep on quilting and quilt something for charity lap robes for vets or our soldiers ... enjoy your longarm..
Hugs
Quiltinmama
Old 05-17-2011, 04:13 AM

My husband DOESN'T quilt...but he faithfully sleeps under the ones I create every night...and that's saying a whole lot!!!

I love men who quilt...my paternal grandfather was a tailor...back in the good ol' days when men's "ready wear" was not available. He was so very good at his job that even after the advent of the "ready's", he had a thriving business until the day he passed on. I have so many fond memories of going to the tailor shop and sitting up on the high tables while he worked...and those huge scissors!! and all that wonderful wool!!

Sorry...I got off topic here...but it spurred some very pleasant memories!! Just had to share.......
Old 05-17-2011, 04:27 AM

My Wife Made Me! ROTFLMBO!!! Love the pic to go with your name! Is your wife on the board, too?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:42 AM

My husband does all my quilting for me. I was going to quit making quilts because it is so expensive to have it done, for me at least. So we bought a pre owned frame and a brother quilting machine and he learned to quilt.We do not have a long arm but he enjoys it a lot. I think if you would go price what it would cost to have one quilted it would make you more willing to learn to do it yourself, and also give you great satisfaction of a job well done. There are many men quilters.Good Luck
Pickle