Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Men who quilt >

Men who quilt

Men who quilt

Old 02-27-2011, 03:29 PM

This year at our trailer park the sewing room started beginner lessons for men. One man sighned up and is having a blast and just loving it and soing a great job. Quilting is definately not just for women anymore.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:39 PM

check out Matt Sparrow-manquilter.com He is a married man with 8 or 9 kids.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:49 PM

My name is Glenn and I am a male quilter also a retired army officer and have been married for 45 years. I also knit, crochet and embroidery. I learned all this from my grandmother. You will like this board, have DH read some to the post on this board and look at the posted pics of the works of male quilters. I think he will have fun and enjoy trying something new. Glenn
Old 03-26-2011, 05:47 PM

This is so cool to still be hearing from people on this subject. For those of you who didn't realize it, my DH IS THE ONE WHO HAD THE HEART ATTACK TUESDAY AND CAME HOME YESTERDAY. Didn't mean to yell, yes I did cause I am so happy he is still around.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by SWChick
This is so cool to still be hearing from people on this subject. For those of you who didn't realize it, my DH IS THE ONE WHO HAD THE HEART ATTACK TUESDAY AND CAME HOME YESTERDAY. Didn't mean to yell, yes I did cause I am so happy he is still around.
I am so glad you DH is home now and we are wishing him well Glenn
Old 03-26-2011, 06:12 PM

Thanks Glenn. I hope this will get him into quilting for he needs to keep busy.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:30 AM

Eric -

Welcome to the board. Your work is beautiful, but I especially love the "fractured" quilts. I'd like to see the rest of your tops.

Darren
Old 07-04-2013, 06:17 AM

My 9 year old son has announced to me that HE wants to attend the after school sewing class his 10 year
old sister will be taking this fall. Said he's tired of waiting for me to make the Monster dirty clothes hamper we saw in a magazine (like 2 weeks ago!) and wants to do it himself. And while he's at it, he's going to make his own Halloween costume and it's going to be a surprise.

So apparently 8 year old rough-and-tumble boys (or at least mine) think it's perfectly fine for men to sew!
Old 07-04-2013, 06:44 AM

Welcome ;your quilts are so unique!
Old 07-04-2013, 07:40 AM

When reading about the huge number of husbands who are bragged about/appreciated on this QB it is obvious that many of us have a hubby who gets involved with our quilting, and some of the men have been intrigued to the point of taking up quilting themselves. Mine helped me get my area in order, goes to quilt shops with me and sometimes insists that I get some fabric that at the time I can't think of how I would ever use it (and then some desperate need comes up and that fabric is the answer). Like many men he has some color blindness, but he can see all tones just fine and can, and will tell me if I've got a dull spot happening. He helps me design (a quilt he worked with me every step of the way won best of show recently; he even held the rolled areas and shifted them right and left so I could quilt it on my regular machine). He also has taken over the cooking (which he loves and far outdoes me in quality) and the vacuming, but refuses to dust! I put both our names on the quilts I make for friends and family because w/o him I couldn't quilt nearly as much, or as well, and he helps me in the quilting process so much! He is very secure in his manliness but will not sew (I think the sewing machine scares him!). His hands and fingers are huge and sewing on a button is a major chore for him. Our arrangement is simply the way we have settled in, but obviously male/female roles are at our convience, not set by yesterday's "sex roles".

Last edited by Sierra; 07-04-2013 at 07:43 AM.