Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Men's tie quilts

Soddy Daisy, Tennessee

Men's tie quilts

Has anyone made a mens tie quilt, Is is hard and how much would you charge to make one.

I have seen men ties made into fan blocks. Very interesting design!

New Hampshire
    At Quilt Market, Thankfully Sew showed a new pattern for a quilt with men's ties. It was really cute.

Northern Michigan
    Blog Entries
    there are books of quilts made with ties-
    often a 'dresden fan' is the pattern used for a tie quilt--difficulty is relative- if the ties are all silk- need to be prepared- and interfaced- there is a lot of work involved....as for being (hard) not necessarily---just time consuming---and silks are a bit (slippery)
    the price of paying someone to make one for you would depend on many things---are you supplying the ties? have they been sorted (silk, polyester, wool, cotton...)? have they been taken apart & the (inards) removed? how big? what pattern? how complete---as in just the top? completed- backing, batting, quilted & bound? there are many many questions to answer (talk to someone about) i would expect to pay someone $300-$500 for a queen sized one- with me supplying the ties- sorted- ready to be used....but that's just a guess- & knowing what i charge for the quilts i sell.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Lake Elsinore, CA
    The most interesting use of men's ties I've seen in person is skirts that two women were wearing at a quilt show. This site shows lots of other ways to use the ties, in quilts and otherwise. http://sewingwithneckties.blogspot.com/