Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Men's tie quilts

Men's tie quilts

Has anyone made a mens tie quilt, Is is hard and how much would you charge to make one.

I have seen men ties made into fan blocks. Very interesting design!

At Quilt Market, Thankfully Sew showed a new pattern for a quilt with men's ties. It was really cute.

there are books of quilts made with ties-
    often a 'dresden fan' is the pattern used for a tie quilt--difficulty is relative- if the ties are all silk- need to be prepared- and interfaced- there is a lot of work involved....as for being (hard) not necessarily---just time consuming---and silks are a bit (slippery)
    the price of paying someone to make one for you would depend on many things---are you supplying the ties? have they been sorted (silk, polyester, wool, cotton...)? have they been taken apart & the (inards) removed? how big? what pattern? how complete---as in just the top? completed- backing, batting, quilted & bound? there are many many questions to answer (talk to someone about) i would expect to pay someone $300-$500 for a queen sized one- with me supplying the ties- sorted- ready to be used....but that's just a guess- & knowing what i charge for the quilts i sell.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

The most interesting use of men's ties I've seen in person is skirts that two women were wearing at a quilt show. This site shows lots of other ways to use the ties, in quilts and otherwise. http://sewingwithneckties.blogspot.com/