Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Metal or plastic bobbins? >

Metal or plastic bobbins?

Metal or plastic bobbins?

Old 02-02-2013, 10:43 AM

I was told by my dealer that the metal bobbins can become magnetized with the speed of sewing and cause thread problems. Now I use just the plastic one and no more problems. Since my Singer and Brother use different bobbins I use the little paper dots to tell them apart-Brother has dots.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:18 AM

As several have said, I'd stick with what came with your machine....except that I also use the cardboard prewound bobbins...but not all machines can handle them.

One disadvantage I know about for plastic bobbins is that you should use use slow speeds and lots of caution when winding metallic or other stretchy threads on the plastic bobbins since the threads can relax once on the bobbin and actually make the plastic bobbins warp from the pressure on the inner core...because of this pressure, they may not rotate correctly. One hint I've heard for checking for warped plastic bobbins (and works for wrong sized bobbins as well) is that if it won't fit snugly and easily on your bobbin winder post, it probably shouldn't be used on your machine.

Originally Posted by coffeebreak View Post
Any pros/cons for either?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:40 AM

Both my Brother and Elna came with plastic bobbins, but I like the metal ones. The manual for both machines say to use bobbins made for the machine. I always took that to mean... 'use ours because we charge more' and they do plastic bobbins because they are cheaper to make.
My understanding is that the important part is the size (class) of the bobbin.
I could be wrong, I have no formal training in sewing and I've only been doing it a few years, but both of my machines are working great and the Brother has been used pretty hard for about 2 years.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:02 PM

Red face Plastic verses metal bobbins

Originally Posted by TeriD View Post
My machine came with plastic bobbins and that's what I used for years. But then when I took my machine in to be serviced, it came back with a couple of metal bobbins and they are SO much better. The machine runs much smoother with the metal bobbins. I like them so much I went out and bought a bunch more.
Hi; First time here - hope I don't break any rules...
Using my 401A over the years, I get snags/thread nests that stop the machine dead/break needles, etc., every time I use plastic instead of metal bobbins. It may indeed - be just a factor of how finely the bobbin case is 'tuned'. Just the same, as it's been said here B/F, older machines like this probably came with metal bobbins; since they work best on my "Baxter", I continue to use them.
If I recall correctly, the plastic bobbins work well on my little older portable Bernina. Been awhile tho since it's been used..
Thank you for all your info!
Danielle
www.potholdersplus.blogspot.com

Last edited by Baxter&Maria; 08-06-2021 at 01:04 PM. Reason: forgot website
Old 08-06-2021, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb View Post
As several have said, I'd stick with what came with your machine....except that I also use the cardboard prewound bobbins...but not all machines can handle them.

One disadvantage I know about for plastic bobbins is that you should use use slow speeds and lots of caution when winding metallic or other stretchy threads on the plastic bobbins since the threads can relax once on the bobbin and actually make the plastic bobbins warp from the pressure on the inner core...because of this pressure, they may not rotate correctly. One hint I've heard for checking for warped plastic bobbins (and works for wrong sized bobbins as well) is that if it won't fit snugly and easily on your bobbin winder post, it probably shouldn't be used on your machine.
Thank you Bataplai, for your info!
Old 08-07-2021, 07:57 AM

I recently took one of my machines in to be serviced and the repairman spoke of how great it was to see that I was using the plastic bobbins made for my machine. He was telling me of the damages that he sees on the model of my Janome when metal bobbins are use. However some of my vintage machine require metal bobbins. Always be sure you the right bobbins for your machine. Look in your manual.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:28 AM

Janome Horizon uses plastic bobbins. When it stopped working, it was because I had the wrong plastic bobbin in it. So I am careful to use the same kind of plastic bobbin it came with.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:18 AM

Teri, what machine do you have?
Old 08-09-2021, 06:41 AM

If you machine came with plastic bobbins only use plastic. The weight of the metal bobbins can mess up the tension. I have not seen a problem when use plastic in a machine with metal bobbins. I work on a variety of machines at church.
Old 08-09-2021, 04:59 PM

If I'm not wrong, many newer machines come with low bobbin warnings. This only works with plastic as the metal deters the reading.