Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Metallic Thread Help Please >

Metallic Thread Help Please

Metallic Thread Help Please

Old 02-23-2014, 07:26 PM

Default Metallic Thread Help Please

During Christmas last year I wanted to do some outline work on a panel with Metallic Thread. I admit this is a territory I know nothing about. I used regular cotton thread in bobbin and the gold metallic thread in top I could only get at most 4 stitches and the metallic threat would break. Is there a secret to using metallic thread?
Old 02-23-2014, 07:48 PM

I will be watching this post, I have wanted to try using metallic thread, but don't have the courage to just do it.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:57 PM

Try using a metallic needle, and relaxing the tension. I also find using a thread holder helps a lot.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:01 PM

Superiorthreads.com has great info about metallic thread
Old 02-23-2014, 08:08 PM

I used sulky metalic thread to quilt an applique quilt I made with no problem. I used a rayon thread in the bobbin. I also bought and used needles made for metalic thread. I think it was the needles and brand of thread that helped me. Hope this helps you
Old 02-23-2014, 08:25 PM

Disclaimer: I don't quilt on my DSM but on my longarm I successfully use Superior's Metallic threads. You need a needle with a larger eye so the friction does not shred your thread, loosen your tension top and bobbin, and quilt more slowly. So check out what Superior Threads say about using their metallic threads - they are a great resource for any information on thread.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Power Poster

I used metallic thread for some straight line as wel as FMQ this winter. You are having the same sort of problems I had, til I found out the "how to's" from my dealer.

There are a lot of variables in metallic threads, so there is no one set answer. Also, different machines will require different actions.

Definitely use a metallic needle.

For my machine, there were instructions in the manual, which did not make sense, but once I spoke with my dealer, it did!! There is a lubricant well to feed the thread thru. Plus the spool of thread needed to be fed out of it and into the machine in a different way than I do for conventional thread.

Once I had all that set right ... there was no need to adjust the tension and it stitched perfectly!

Another time, if I have a different metallic thread, it might be all different!
For sure, I will buy my thread at my dealer, and check with them as to the how to.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:36 PM

I do a lot of appliqueing with metallic thread. People are usually amazed because they have so much trouble with metallic thread. I was told by many that it is either your sewing machine likes it or it doesn't. I have used several different brands of metallic thread with no problem. I do nothing different with my machine when I sew with metallic thread. I don't even change the needle. Weird. I guess I'm very lucky!
Old 02-24-2014, 03:53 AM

I vote for the metallic thread needle. Works for me and my machines.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:21 AM

I also use a metallic thread needle and lower machine tension. Worked for me with my bernina though have not tried it with my BL crescendo.