Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Metallic thread nightmare!! >

Metallic thread nightmare!!

Metallic thread nightmare!!

Old 10-01-2012, 05:18 PM

Metallic thread does require special handling. What brand of metalic are you using -- the sulky thread has to lay on its side and is the only one I ever have real problems with (but only a couple of colors). When I use metallic thread, I make sure I use a large metallic needle (metallic needs to glide through the needle), I usually use a thread conditioner, I loosen the tension and I go slower than I normally sew. Other than a couple of Sulky colors, I don't get thread shredding.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:35 PM

Well thanks everyone for all the suggestions. The thread I am using is Gutermann. I am using a regular needle, so I bet that is the issue. I have been going very slow, but the longer I sewed today it did not matter how slow I was going it was still breaking. Going to look for a needle, I am sure I do not have one, so hopefully can find one online.

Thanks again.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:28 PM

sometimes it helps to use a thread holder farther away from your machine rather than the spool on the machine so the thread has a chance to straighten out. i find that helps me when I use a metallic thread in my emb. machine. here are some hints that might also help:

http://www.emblibrary.com/el/elproje...oductid=PR1131

Last edited by bakermom; 10-01-2012 at 10:32 PM. Reason: added link
Old 10-02-2012, 03:02 AM

You probably need a metallic needle. It has a specially designed hole, shaft, and is teflon coated so the thread doesn't get too hot and breaks. Also, do not sew at full speed, as that causes too much friction, again causing breakage. Hope you can get it to work for you!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:26 AM

Thanks everyone for the info..especially about the sulky thread! i'm not the OP, but have hated using metallic thread for years...have used metallic needles, but always had breaks. the brand has always been sulky! i'll try the yenmet....thank you!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:23 AM

You need to buy a needle specifically for metallic thread. Also, put the thread in a coffee mug and then feed it through your machine. Go S-L-O-W-L-Y as metallic thread gets hot when you go fast and that can also cause it to break. I tried to quilt a lap quilt with metallic thread and, like you, was ready to throw out my machine! Then I changed the backing from flannel to cotton and following all my suggestions above, it worked beautifully. Sulky recommends a 14/90 needle. Give that a try and good luck.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:20 AM

Use a needle made for metallic thread; can't remember the name. Also the Floriani lady said that she has great success with metallic threads because she turns the spool upside down either in cup or stand up spool. Its something about the way the thead comes off the spool when it's upside down that makes it work.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:00 PM

Buy some Sew Slick from Clotilde and put it on your thread. Sew slow, use the correct needles.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:37 PM

A thread lubricant will help alot. with breakage. Should be able to buy it where embroidery machines are sold.

I have even used it on the thread on my long arm when breakage was a problem. Great stuff.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:36 PM

The solution to embroidering with metallics is: I put the thread on a thread holder on the other side of the room, and let it unspool as I embroider. This was told to me and I started using my metallics this way, and mine doesn't break anymore. I have 2 machines on opposite sides of the room. I put my meatllic on the machine that is fartherest away. Run to other machin and thread as usual. It has something to do with the thread being able to loosen up and unwind befroe it goes thru the tension. Good Luck..