Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
metallic thread >

metallic thread

metallic thread

Old 08-09-2011, 05:50 PM

I've tried using metallic threads and micro fiber when top quilting but they always wrap themselves around the spool pins (cotton holders), so i bought a 'thingy' (technical term) that is suppose to stop the tangling but doesn't...can anyone please give me some pointers on how to use the metallic threads. thanx
Old 08-09-2011, 05:54 PM

a few drops of silicone to put on the spool and special needles help. i will be watching for any other advice.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GwynR
a few drops of silicone to put on the spool and special needles help. i will be watching for any other advice.
what "thingy" did you buy??
and are you going too fast when sewing???

Also the special needles and silicone are good to use!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

A spool cap prevents this from happening to me.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:35 PM

i bought 'the amazing wonder thread guide' it suppose to help eliminate tangles and twisting and thread pile-ups, the pile-up is what I'm getting.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:55 PM

If your thread is on a cone , use a cone holder. Monofilament thread and metalic thread needs to relax before going thru any of the machine thread guides or tension disks. It also does not generate the static as much since its lifting from the top of the cone.
If its on a regular spool, it can be much harder to work with because you can put more distance between the spindle and the thread guide. Do slow down and put a disk slightly bgger than the end of the spool at the point where the thread in winding off. A piece of cardboard cut 1/4 bigger around ( mimium) , and put it tight to the bottom of the spool. The plastic spools do generate a good bit of static, plus the metalic thread has more memory than regular cotton. You will notice as it comes of the spool it stays curlier than cotton. You want to create a bit of a barrier so that curling as it comes off does not wrap the thread.
I only buy metalic and monoflimant now on cones( small ) , as the regular spools can be just too much of an issue. Do note that the further you get down on the amount of thread remaining the smaller the circumference of thread wrapped on the cone or spool, so there will be a "tighter" memory curl to the thread... making the distance for it to relax more important.
The silicone thread treatments work well along with a barrier.
Do use a metalic needle ( if you aren't already)
Old 08-09-2011, 07:01 PM

I too had all sorts of problems with metallic thread, tried everything nothing worked till an experienced quilter friend advised me to put the top thread on a bobbin and Eureka it worked no problems with my metallic thread now.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:09 PM

Which way is the thread coming off the spool? How is the thread wound on the spool? If it crosses over itself on the spool it needs to come off the end of the spool. If it's stacked wound it needs to come off the side of the spool.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:18 PM

are you saying put the metallic on the bobbin as well?
Old 08-10-2011, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

Not 100% sure, but I think she means wind some metallic thread on a bobbin and use that instead of the spool, not actually put it in the bobbin. Hope for clarification!
I use a cone stand, even with small spools:
http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...d__D81905.html
I use 50 wt cotton in the bobbin, a metallic needle and Superior brand metallic thread with good results.