Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mettler 'Silk' Finished thread and other myths. >

Mettler 'Silk' Finished thread and other myths.

Mettler 'Silk' Finished thread and other myths.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

That the new cotton fabrics are ALL colorfast and that NONE of them will shrink.

Some are bleeders - and some will shrink.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
"ONLY a 1/4" seam is correct in quilts."
Actually I subscribe to the Mary Ellen Hopkins dictate of "personal private measurement" -- the position my needle is in closest to the 1/4" mark on MY sewing machine. The machines, Berninas 1031, 830, 807, have one needle position slightly less than 1/4" and one position slightly more than 1/4" (among others). I use them both for different purposes.
My quilts are fine and I've never been "fined" for one.

Jan in VA
Jan, I read about the PPM in Mary Ellen's books years ago and have never worried about an "exact" 1/4" since. I figured as long as the seam is the same throughout that particular project, I'm good. Lordy, if I had to worry about an exact 1/4" I would have quit years ago!
Old 10-20-2014, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

As far as an "exact" 1/4 inch seam in fabric - it is impossible with the materials one has to work with.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:52 PM

Just another comment on the myth that "real" quilts are hand quilted: I have a "real" quilt on my bed at the moment, quilted deep in the past by some woman in my husband's family, I don't know who. It is hand pieced and hand quilted — and so poorly done that I am afraid to wash it under any circumstances. I could never handle it for handwashing and I'm quite certain it would fall apart in a washer, and possibly would also fall apart if it were hand washed. And. It. Is. Dirty. It reeeeally needs a bath. I don't know what to do with it. However, I am in the (slow) process of making a fake quilt (i.e. machine pieced and quilted) for that bed. Once it's finished, the "real" one will go back into storage and await someone who is brave enough to tackle its fragility and grubbiness. My fake quilt will toss into the washer and dryer and be none the worse for the wear. I also anticipate it lasting many years longer than the "real" one.

Is machine piecing and quilting really an unrealistic choice?
Old 10-20-2014, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I wonder what the seam allowance was for clothing back in the day it was hand stitched? Maybe "our" 1/4" seam allowance is a carry-over? Just a thought.
I remember from Home Ec sewing class that it is a 5/8" seam for clothing, probably to allow for body movement.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:00 PM

"I have a spool of thread on my desk labeled 100% cotton quilting thread. It is a very well known brand, widely available, and is one of the top selling machine quilting and piecing threads. It is twice as strong as a comparable polyester thread. Although it isn't labeled as such, it is coated with a glaze which strengthens the cotton fibers and makes the thread rather wiry."

Just wanted to mention (as a sewing machine mechanic) that you should never use a hand quilting tread with the glaze finish in your sewing machine. That one is not a myth. I have seen some very frustrated ladies with that on their machine. No way to get a good stitch, for one thing. And it pulls the needle into the hook and will put burrs on it. That wiry stuff has a mind of it's own, and doesn't comply with what the machine needs it to do.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
"ONLY a 1/4" seam is correct in quilts."
Actually I subscribe to the Mary Ellen Hopkins dictate of "personal private measurement" -- the position my needle is in closest to the 1/4" mark on MY sewing machine. The machines, Berninas 1031, 830, 807, have one needle position slightly less than 1/4" and one position slightly more than 1/4" (among others). I use them both for different purposes.
My quilts are fine and I've never been "fined" for one.

Jan in VA
Jan how to I follow the "personal private measurement" by Mary Ellen Hopkins? I need to work on my 1/4" so very much
Old 10-21-2014, 12:57 AM

Very interesting topic. When I came back to quilting after retiring, I also felt a quilt wasn't a quilt unless it was Hand Quilted. My thoughts now have changed. Anything is a quilt, no matter how it's put together. With that, I still have a deep love for the hand quilted. What's that saying " Don't fret the small stuff" and I don't
Old 10-21-2014, 02:50 AM

Warm and natural plush doesn't have a scrim.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:24 AM

Each sort of quilting should be celebrated for what it is. Hand quilting is esteemed because it represents an extraordinary amount of time and work. Machine quilting requires just as much skill, just of a different sort. There is room for both types of quilts in the world, and there is no need to feel defensive about the choices we make as quilters. Whichever way you choose to quilt, do it without apology.