Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Micro-wave safe batting

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    FYI - Just got a notice from a vendor yesterday, saying that the makers of Warm & Natural are coming out with a microwave safe batting (no resins that can scorch)... I think they had in mind the microwave potato bags and tortilla warmers that so many people are making.

Blog Entries
    I had read about this on their site... I was wondering what the difference in the batting would be. Thank you for letting us know it is the resins :D:D:D

Thanks for the heads up!!! :D

Oh, potato bags, gotcha. When I saw the title I was thinking, "Who the heck puts a quilt in the microwave?!" Of course this questioning is coming from a woman who's husband recently put his tennis shoe in the microwave. Don't ask but I will say it stinks REALLY bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
    Oh, potato bags, gotcha. When I saw the title I was thinking, "Who the heck puts a quilt in the microwave?!" Of course this questioning is coming from a woman who's husband recently put his tennis shoe in the microwave. Don't ask but I will say it stinks REALLY bad!
    I thought the same thing. Batting in the microwave??? Now I understand.

I thought that I was reading it wrong too!! :oops: :oops: What kind of new fangled thing have them come up with now?? :roll: I use moist paper towels, but I would be willing to help save the planet by using the new batting in a tortilla warming bag! :wink: Thanks for sharing! :D

LOL, i had heard of putting batting in dryer to fluff it, i was thinking, wouldn't batting be too big for the microwave?
    thanks for clearing it up, think i will go get some more coffee.

When I first read, I was wondering "why in the world would anyone put batting in a micro". Now it makes sense. But it did cause me to pause and think. :-P

Blog Entries
    The scrim is what could catch on fire in the microwave. All cotton batting has a very thin layer of poly, called scrim, on the outside. Unless it says organic, cotton batting will have the scrim even if it's labeled 100% cotton. The scrim is so thin the poly doesn't have to be counted as a %. This new cotton batting will have no scrim.

Hospitals put warming blankets in the microwave all the time. No reason to think you couldn't do that at home as well. Nice to know you really can't right now!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast