Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Microflannel for back? >

Microflannel for back?

Microflannel for back?

Old 10-20-2016, 07:27 AM

Default Microflannel for back?

Has anyone used microflannel for a back? I noticed that the description of the fabric says that it does not pill nearly as much as flannel. Have not looked for the fabric in fabric stores yet, only have seen it as sheets.
Looking forward to feedback if anyone has used it.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

Microflannel?
I have never heard of

Or do you mean
Microfibre?

Have never used microfibre for a quilt, but to be honest, I don't care for it anywhere else.

If you are meaning microflannel, then perhaps you could tell us more as to what it is .... Thank you!
Old 10-20-2016, 01:11 PM

QuiltE - I agree with you, microfiber feels horrible as sheets. But this product sounds different.
Here is a link to the description http://microflannel.com/
I just wanted to know if anyone has washed this type of flannel and how it holds up, and if there is any "give" to the fabric which I would prefer if it did not have.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

Thanks ChesterTheBunny for the link.

The way I read this is, that it is still microfibre and they have put a flannel name on it to give it a different perception. It still comes down to being polyester ... and what you like or do not like about that.

I would see no reason why not to use it for a backing, or as in their photos it appears they made the whole quilt, both front and back with it.

Have you ever used fleece for a backing? I am betting this is basically the same, just that it is thinner and promoted to not pill as cotton flannels or fleece both can do. And yet, there are some flannels and fleece that do not and stay incredibly nice throughout their lives.

Polyester does not breathe, and one of the reasons I do not care for it ... and yet, I have one quilt with a fleece backing, and if I am cold, I will grab it, as I know I will be warmed up quickly, because the heat stays with me.

It all probably all comes down to personal preferences.
What you may like ... I may not ... and vice-versa!

If you are intrigued, why not get a piece of the fabric (or buy a sheet) to use as the backing on a small quilt and see what you think of it?
Old 10-21-2016, 06:05 AM

I have used all kinds of fabrics for backing. I say give it a shot. Is it available by the yard anywhere?
Old 10-21-2016, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

All that being said where/who sells the best flannel without breaking the budget?