Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: microwave potato bags

microwave potato bags

I'd like to make some of these microwave potato bags. Some people swear by them. Being new to quilting, (but loving it), I'd like to make my bags have that "pieced, quilty" look. Any ideas?
    best stitches,
    kyheartstrings

Like a meandering design or something like that?
    Heather

I think someone also said to use all cotton thread I think it was. soemone posted alot of safety tips on here about them. I haven't made any because I couldn't find the potato fabric but did alot of reading on these, pros and cons. good luck and post pics

potato bags

I was advised to use all cotton--prewashed fabric, cotton batting. So that's what I did. There are instructions at http://www.tipnut.com I decorated mine with embroidered potato,

You do need to use cotton fabric and thread and get the special batting that can be used in the microwave. I have used regular batting by Warm & Natural and it did work but now with the special batting I use it.

Use only cotton thread and cotton fabric. Make sure you have the right batting. It needs to be warm tater batting and it seems like it is only 42" wide. There are free patterns online and the batting comes with a pattern as well. I made some for a friend and her daughters, and they love them. I did a meandering on some of them, and then just diagonals on some so that they looked like little diamonds. One of my other friends saw them, and wants me to make some for her to give as Christmas gifts.

Originally from Hialeah Fl. Now in the Seattle area
    Blog Entries
    I would advise you to NOT make these, out of any fabric what-so-ever. I made a few for Christmas gifts a few years ago and EVERY ONE of them caught fire in the microwaves and ruined the machines. They're kind of neat to look at but, non functional in my opinion and downright dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Granpaquilts View Post
    I would advise you to NOT make these, out of any fabric what-so-ever. I made a few for Christmas gifts a few years ago and EVERY ONE of them caught fire in the microwaves and ruined the machines. They're kind of neat to look at but, non functional in my opinion and downright dangerous.
    I rec'd one as a gift, used it a few times.....not impressed......and then I read the horror stories about fires in micros and quickly tossed the potato bag away....don't need to tempt fate.......