Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mimimum investment  to start quilting ? >

Mimimum investment to start quilting ?

Mimimum investment to start quilting ?

Old 05-13-2015, 05:43 AM

I think a problem a lot of us run into (myself I know) is we are collectors. I know I have probably five pairs of scissors, stacks of patterns, and just in general to much because I am an estate sale junkie and I can't say no to a sale. So even though the first quilt I ever made probably cost about fifty to sixty dollars now I have a collection of quilting/sewing accessories. Lol!
Old 05-13-2015, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
justflyingin - those are beautiful quilts!
Thanks for the kind words.

I do tend to get frustrated with people when they say "how expensive" our hobby is. What hobby isn't expensive?

Golfing? Eating out? Scrapbooking? Boating? Skiing? Cross stitching? Painting? hmmm
Old 05-13-2015, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally quilting was done by hand piecing and hand quilting old clothes. So, old clothes, needles, thread, scissors, maybe a sheet for the back or some more old clothes, and some sort of batting... (if any).... $30?

I have purchased some wonderful vintage Singer machines for $20- $25 each, some even came in cabinets. It doesn't have to be expensive.

That being said, I think most people come to quilting with some sort of sewing knowledge/background. So they would already have a machine and supplies to get started.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

I am thinking that - even way back when - there were two main types of quilts -

"fancy/heirloom/company best/special" type quilts that the makers purchased new materials for - and then the ones made from "whatever" that were made primarily for warmth.

Even the ones made from "whatever" seemed to fall into two categories - some appeared to have had planned layouts - and others were "just put together".
Old 05-13-2015, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
If someone had absolutely nothing in the way of sewing supplies - no machine, no books, no fabric, no thread, no needles, no cutting equipment (no sicossors), nothing related to sewing - and wanted to make a lap size quilt (approximately 45 x 60) - approximately what would it cost?
I see where others have come up with some good estimates, but I do believe quilting and especially sewing in general is such a valuable life skill and/or hobby. People find ways to save all the time if they really want to, but whatever you put out in money will be returned to you tenfold in a fulfilling life skill.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:28 AM

A view from the other side... some of the younger "just starting" quilters would do well to hook up with some older ladies that are isolated for one reason or another. Many of them can no longer go to guild meetings, etc., but would be willing to teach these younger women what they know, share their skills (and their tools, and frequently even their fabric stashes) in their homes in exchange for a little good company and maybe a little help with grocery shopping or something like that. Maybe there would be fewer huge quilting estate sales if these women had someone they were passing their wonderful heritage on to!
Old 05-13-2015, 07:41 AM

If I really liked the person and they lived close enough, the could possibly make the top for free as I would gladly share my tools, supplies, and knowledge. I would share batting and backing if I have it available and it's what they want. If they liked quilting and wanted to continue I would share my coupons so they could start buying tools. This is how my DIL started. After the first one she spent about $75 buying a cheap machine, rotary cutter with mat and ruler set, a pair of scissors, and pins.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Like most hobbies or whatever it can be as much as you want to spend.
I use to sew clothes for myself and three kids so I already had somethings and gradually bought other things I wanted and thought would get me better results. In fact I still buy what I think will get me better results. I replace worn out supplies as often as I think they need to be replaced.
The only hobby I have now is quilt making and I make 10 -18 per year. I bought my fabrics at scattered times. Again fabrics can cost whatever one wants to spend.
I agree! My first sewing machine was a "moving sale" 1960's Singer for $20 (loved that machine!), which came with the desk, and everything in the drawers (needles, scissors, thread, zippers....they were stuffed). I used old pillowcases, sheets and clothing I had on hand to practice. If you decide you enjoy your new hobby, you can upgrade as you see necessary....I always buy inexpensively.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Madan49 View Post
A view from the other side... some of the younger "just starting" quilters would do well to hook up with some older ladies that are isolated for one reason or another. Many of them can no longer go to guild meetings, etc., but would be willing to teach these younger women what they know, share their skills (and their tools, and frequently even their fabric stashes) in their homes in exchange for a little good company and maybe a little help with grocery shopping or something like that. Maybe there would be fewer huge quilting estate sales if these women had someone they were passing their wonderful heritage on to!
I love this!
Old 05-13-2015, 09:34 AM

My DH keeps reminding me that the cost of materials and tools is usually balance by what I might have to spend at a therapist if I didn't have something that makes me feel so good...