Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mine is always a dumb question >

Mine is always a dumb question

Mine is always a dumb question

Old 06-13-2011, 07:58 PM

I think simply calling it scrappy assumes you will abandon all rules and just go for it.

Everyone I do is like that. Some of them seem planned, some don't. None of them actually are.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:00 PM

I think that you are describing controlled scrappy. However, there are other scrappys as well.

I've been trying to use up a lot of my scraps this year.

I've done what you say--by just sewing squares together. However, because I had so many squares, it was easy to separate them into blues, yellows, purples, etc. so I made, for example, blue and yellow squares (alternating squares), browns and greens, etc.

But here are some of the tops I've been working on this year.

This one has parts of an old red/white quilt I bought but was too holey to use as a quilt. I cut up the good parts and incorporated them here (at least some of them).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211249[/ATTACH]

This one has the scrappy strips around scrappy off white pieces. But it is definitely controlled. I chose only colors that coordinated with the wider strips in the middle.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211250[/ATTACH]

Totally random. I sewed strips together basically as I pulled them out of the bag of 1.5 strips.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211251[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-211243.jpe   attachment-211244.jpe   attachment-211245.jpe  
Old 06-13-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
I think that you are describing controlled scrappy. However, there are other scrappys as well.

I've been trying to use up a lot of my scraps this year.

I've done what you say--by just sewing squares together. However, because I had so many squares, it was easy to separate them into blues, yellows, purples, etc. so I made, for example, blue and yellow squares (alternating squares), browns and greens, etc.

These are all beautiful !!

But here are some of the tops I've been working on this year.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:57 PM

I make "Scrappy Arse" and "Scrappy planned" quilts. Sometimes both of them get cut into quilts made for my friends' pooches. They are called "Fugglies". The doggies have never complained. I get to use up a whole bunch of scrap material which will be deficated upon and chewed to bits.

As soon as I realize that something is going "south" or "downhill", I know that there will be a new batch of pups that still don't give a damn what they look like!. Plus, they get to take their fuggly to their new home with them.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:24 AM
Power Poster

scrappy can be as scrappy as you like- some people just have to coordinate no matter what- others can reach in a bag pull out 2 pieces sew them together- grab another- and continue until they have a quilt-
sometimes scraps are sorted into lights and darks-then joined-
what ever suits your fancy will make YOUR SCRAP QUILT.
they all work- and if you put one together- and it doesn't have the spark you want- you can cut it- add white- or black- and bring it to life.
the great thing about scrap quilts---you use up all those scraps- and they pretty much always work out.
abandon everything you've learned about color theory- and make a scrappy quilt!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
Hi Monie,
There are no dumb questions. Here is an example of squares randomly put together. I love it. Now it is your turn. Go for it. :-)
oh wow I love your scrappy quilt!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:14 AM
Power Poster

I use the scraps that I have saved and when I piece a scrappy quilt together I try to alternate a light piece next to a dark piece.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

I also had a stack of 5" charms. I did the 'pull it out of a sack' method, but for me it was a bit too chaotic. I un sewed it into 4 patches, added white sashing and I love it now. It's a personal preference, but looking over the scrappy quilts I like the best, they all seem to have a single color sashing or accent block. Seems to tie it all together for me.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:27 AM

I love, love, love the look of scrappy quilts.

I am new too, and have been reading about scrappy quilts, and looking at lots of pictures.

Here is one thing I have read about that I am going to do: lay out the pieces and get them in an order that I like. It may take extra time, but I think I will be happier with it in the end.

Also, it seems that the ones I like do have some color block that is throughout the quilt as an accent color block.

I have learned so much from the wonderful quilters on this board. AND since I am totally addicted, it's nice that I'm not alone.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
It's a personal preference, but looking over the scrappy quilts I like the best, they all seem to have a single color sashing or accent block. Seems to tie it all together for me.
I've discovered that too. Somehow, to make them look coordinated, without actually going out and buying a lot of fabric to tie it together is the thing that makes the quilt pleasant to me.

Two color scrappy 4 squares. My daughter made this one when she was 15
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211331[/ATTACH]

Red sashing which ties it all together. Otherwise, it is only 1 1/2 strings--completely randomly placed.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211332[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-211325.jpe   attachment-211326.jpe