Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mini Bow Tuck Question >

Mini Bow Tuck Question

Mini Bow Tuck Question

Old 03-21-2012, 12:13 PM

Default Mini Bow Tucks is 2" Smaller Than Regular Bow Tucks?

I know this thread is old but hopefully there is still someone around who can corroborate something for me. I notice the OP says the piece she is cutting, the inside pocket, is 11" by WOF. I have the regular BowTucks pattern (I'm on my fifth tote ) and have just been told by Darci at Quilts Illustrated that I can cut all the regular size pieces, except handles and bow ties, 2" smaller in each dimension in order to make the mini version. That would make the piece the OP of this thread is cutting 10" instead of the 11" she is cutting.

OP, if you are still here, are you making yours 1" bigger for some reason?

Actually, I kind of thought it sounded weird to make them all 2" smaller. That would not preserve the proportions of the regular size. It ws very kind of Darci to impart this bit of information and I did ask to buy the fabric cutting sizes for the mini bow tucks, but it won't help me if cutting 2" smaller is wrong.

Can anyone help?
Old 03-21-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by JAK View Post
Making my first mini-bow tuck and everything going along quite well but am at the point of cutting fabric for the inside pockets. It says to cut one piece 11 x width of fabric. The width of the fabric is about 42". How is that going to fit around the inside of the purse.

Am I totally reading this the wrong way ????

I made my first one a few weeks ago. After I cut the pocket in too and sewed to the lining, I did have about 2 to 3 inches left over. It really went together nicely.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
I know this thread is old but hopefully there is still someone around who can corroborate something for me. I notice the OP says the piece she is cutting, the inside pocket, is 11" by WOF. I have the regular BowTucks pattern (I'm on my fifth tote ) and have just been told by Darci at Quilts Illustrated that I can cut all the regular size pieces, except handles and bow ties, 2" smaller in each dimension in order to make the mini version. That would make the piece the OP of this thread is cutting 10" instead of the 11" she is cutting.

OP, if you are still here, are you making yours 1" bigger for some reason?

Actually, I kind of thought it sounded weird to make them all 2" smaller. That would not preserve the proportions of the regular size. It ws very kind of Darci to impart this bit of information and I did ask to buy the fabric cutting sizes for the mini bow tucks, but it won't help me if cutting 2" smaller is wrong.

Can anyone help?
The mini bow tuck calls for 11 inch for the inside pockets they are just the right size. It will work just fine!
Old 03-22-2012, 05:04 AM

Thank you Donna. So you are saying the -2" instruction I received IS wrong and for this piece it should only be -1". That's what I worried about. Now I wonder how wrong all the other pieces will be if I make them 2" smaller too.

Last night I used Excel and using the finished widths as my starting point figured that all pieces should be a certain percentage smaller, if they were to stay in proportion to the width. I got some fractions of course so it's not the best method. But some of the smaller pieces certainly did not come out anywhere near 2" smaller. And the width at the bottom of the mini and the regular is the same, throwing my whole idea off.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:06 AM

I used a silk looking fabric, and it worked fine. I had it in my stash. I've only made one, but I like it. You cut it in half.