Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Mini Quilts?

Hi
    I want to start making(and maybe selling) Mini quilts. What are some good books, sites and fabrics to look for?
    Any other things I should know before I get started?
    Thank you,

Blog Entries
    I love the book: "Little Quilts Through the House" by Alice Berg.
    THey also have a few other titles by her, check out Amazon.

I just picked up yesterday Rainy day applique and they have bunch of patterns from wall hangings, table runners, placemats, to pillows. It's by Ursula Michael pretty cool book.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingbee12
    Hi
    I want to start making(and maybe selling) Mini quilts. What are some good books, sites and fabrics to look for?
    Thank you,
    How big do you want to go--how small can you piece? Will you paper piece or not?
    "American Doll Quilts" by Kathleen Tracy is on the same scale as "The Little Quilts" authors, which I really like. Darlene Zimmerman has several books out as well--one in particular has directions in 2 different sizes.
    Fabrics--the smaller the quilt piece (triangle, square etc), the larger the scale of the fabric pattern will be in relation to the overall block. Smaller scale fabric patterns work well. Value (contrast of light and dark) also plays in.

I love mini quilts and have thought of selling as well, but they still require a lot of work. I can spend 10-12 hours and longer on some of my tiny pieces--not sure if the time I spend would be appreciated in real dollars.
    Good luck!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingbee12
    Hi
    Thank you,
    How big do you want to go--how small can you piece? Will you paper piece or not?
    "American Doll Quilts" by Kathleen Tracy is on the same scale as "The Little Quilts" authors, which I really like. Darlene Zimmerman has several books out as well--one in particular has directions in 2 different sizes.
    Fabrics--the smaller the quilt piece (triangle, square etc), the larger the scale of the fabric pattern will be in relation to the overall block. Smaller scale fabric patterns work well. Value (contrast of light and dark) also plays in.

I love mini quilts and have thought of selling as well, but they still require a lot of work. I can spend 10-12 hours and longer on some of my tiny pieces--not sure if the time I spend would be appreciated in real dollars.
    Good luck!
    Another thing you have to remember is to obey copyright laws. You can not sell a product from someone else's design unless you have permission of the owner of the copyright.

Here is a link for you with free patterns:

http://littlegemquilts.wordpress.com/patterns/

Enjoy!

judee

Blog Entries
    For most patterns on mini's, you may want to use scaled down prints/designs...on other's they may incorporate well.

Here is a site for free miniature quilt patterns

http://quilting.about.com/od/miniatu...ure_quilts.htm