Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Miniature quilts >

Miniature quilts

Miniature quilts

Old 01-10-2015, 05:46 AM

Default Miniature quilts

I see that many people do miniature quilts. Would like to try one.
What size quilt is considered miniature?
What do you do with these quilts? I can see framing them and using on a wall but what else?
Thank you.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

in this link, the second paragraph, the AQS defines a miniature quilt as no more than 24" in length or width
http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/04/mini-quilts/
Old 01-10-2015, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tapper View Post
...What do you do with these quilts? ...
i use mine to decorate my front door and as wall hangings, since i have little free wall space.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:36 AM

this woman has some gorgeous ones
http://www.kateadamsfineminiaturequi...m/larger1.html
I think the standard scale is 1:12
Old 01-10-2015, 09:45 AM

My mother recently moved into a senior apartment complex, and it seems that most people have a small wallhanging or other decoration on their front door. They are good conversation starters for friends and visitors and are changed out seasonally. I think a miniature quilt would be perfect for that application.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:01 AM

Miniature means you keep the size in proportion to a large traditionally sized quilt. And the pieces also in proportion. I make small/little quilts because I don't care to stick to that proportion. Make your little quilts any size you want or need. Or go with making true miniature quilts. It is your choice. Just have fun with it.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

I didn't know there were measurement guides. I guess I have been making a lot of miniature quilts. I always think of the tiny pieces that Rhonda uses in her small quilts.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:38 PM

I want to try some after seeing a photo of a quilter's wall that had mini quilts all over it. So cute. I have read that paper piecing is a good method for them since they have such small pieces.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:15 PM

I have 100's of quilting magazines that I've bought/kept as early as 80's til now. In 1996 there was a publication called "Miniature Quilt Ideas" by the editors of "Quilt Magazine". I just pulled out one of them that had Cake Stand Baskets that I loved,and turned out so adorable. The BLOCK size(cake stand block) is total 4", subcut of the squares to make the triangles was 1 7/8" When completed with four cake stand baskets on point with one inner border of 1"(1 1/2" before sewing)and another border of 2",plus binding, it measures 17 1/2" by 17 1/2". In these magazines, it offered paper pieced and some rotary cut pieced patterns. All were small in completed form with all the individual block pieces being of small scale as well. I have noticed that some of what is shown on the 'net in images as miniature quilts were not of the true miniature and just the completed quilt size being "miniature".On the flip side there are some beautiful ones that are the true miniature as it first started out to be. I made several for wall hangings, doll quilts for my collection of dolls, and for gifts for others,and sold some as well. It is fun, challenging and hope others try it.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:43 PM

i love the mini quilts from thimble blossoms. i have made several. fatquartershop carries many of them. http://www.fatquartershop.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=mini+quilt+patterns

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505551[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails minispools.jpg