Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: minkee backing

minkee backing

Whenever I use minkee backing for a quilt. It never lays flat after I attach the binding and the binding never looks great when I attach it. What am I doing wrong?

Minkee is a stretchy fabric. You might want to use a walking foot to prevent any stretching or do a basting stitch before attaching the binding. I tried sewing some small pillow for my friend who has to exist in a wheelchair. Parts of his wheelchair rub his skin raw. Well, I started out cutting the fabric into a square but the pillows look like I didn't know how to sew. Will watch this thread to see what opinions appear.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I've used minkee on a lot of quilt backs- after quilting I stitch a running stitch all the way around the outer edge of the quilt (if I don't already have one from stabilizing the quilt when quilted) then I trim the minkee fairly close to the stitching. sew the binding to the front- using a bit wider than I normally do - 2 1/2"- 2 3/4"- depending on thickness of the quilt & if I used batting too--- then when I fold it over the excess bulk from the minkee has been trimmed away so the binding lays flat/smooth (it is still full- with top & batting) works for me...
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy
    Colleen's custom quilting; longarm services and custom quilt commissions.

thank you I will give it a try