Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Minkee fabric for backs

I planning a baby quilt for my new grandson/granddaughter and am considering using Minkee fabric for the back. I love it's texture and softness, especially for a baby, but am concerned about it's stretchiness (?). How can I best work with fabric and still keep the back neat and flat? Help. :?:

When I made a baby quilt backed with minkee, I spray basted (heavily) the batting then smoothed the minkee over it, then pinned, pinned ,pinned, and pinned it again :) :) It was very slippery so I slowed down my speed for quilting it. I used my Viking SE to quilt it on. It was a pain but I loved the end result.

I used it for a baby quilt recently and also spray basted. However, I didn't pin it at all. I found it to be perfectly stable under my machine. I did hoop my quilting designs though (after I quilted in the ditch) in order to easily move my fabric through. Next time I do minkie, I am going to get one of those teflon pads to put on my machine, or carwax my machine table to help the fabric move smoother.

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    I used Minkee for a quilt back once. I spray basted as much as I normally would for cotton, pinned it, and used my walking foot to stitch in the ditch. Turned out beautifully. When I gave it to my niece, first thing she did was lay her head on the minkee back! I was very happy with it!

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think that I'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyMarie
    I used it for a baby quilt recently and also spray basted. However, I didn't pin it at all. I found it to be perfectly stable under my machine. I did hoop my quilting designs though (after I quilted in the ditch) in order to easily move my fabric through. Next time I do minkie, I am going to get one of those teflon pads to put on my machine, or carwax my machine table to help the fabric move smoother.
    carwax works? wow! sounds fun!

I use my walking foot when I sew on minky, I find it makes it easier.