Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Minkee question.

Blog Entries

Minkee question.

I purchased the Missouri Quilt special last week of 24 minkee squares for $1.00 I have never worked with Minkee before and was really surprised at the mess the fabric made when I opened it. Fluff all over my table. Can anyone tell me how to work with this fabric. Do you wash it first, does the fluff subside when washed. It seems terribly messy to use.

Well, you have fallen victim of the minky fabric, I too had, but after I have cut mine, i took outside and shook it and all the fuzzies were gone and did not fuzz while working with it. I also had to pin the fabric very secure, it likes to move around...and it willnot come out even, I love minky fabric, but I will never purchase again...too much fuzzies and hard to sew for me anyway....I did not wash mine, was afraind it would lose it's softness....but the fuzz does go away...good luck...
    Last edited by fabrichore; 04-06-2012 at 09:07 AM. Reason: mispelled words
    Kelley Donahue
    Phillipston, MA

Minky will not shrink so there is no reason to prewash it. Once your quilt is done, it is washable. We have one shop here who does tons with it and and I have done a couple of things - yes, it is fuzzy/mess but worth it if this is what you need. We did some stuffed animals with it - teddy bears so far and it was well worth it for those.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I had quite a few yards of minky and gave it all away to our local thrift shop because I was afraid of it getting inside my machine. And I knew it would be hard to work with. Good luck!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

It gets like that on the inside of your machine too, ask me how I know!

Blog Entries
    Put them in the dryer for several minutes before you use them

Power Poster
    Minky can be a little harder to work with but it is soooo soft. It is more stable lengthwise (parallel to the selvage). Use 1/2inch seam allowances, a walking foot and pin about every inch to stabilize. Do not iron Minky and clean your machine and everything else in your sewing room when you're done.

How do you keep it from getting caught in the needle hole in the throat plate? Trying to sew squares together and cant start the seam because it keeps cramming into the hole. Help!

Try laying tissue paper between the minkee and your machine bed. After stitching you should be able to easily tear the paper away.