Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Minkee >

Minkee

Minkee

Old 08-23-2010, 12:29 PM

I'm thinking of using minkee as a backing on a quilt. I am puzzled, though. The minkee I have found is 100% polyester and my quilt top is 100% cotton (pre-washed and ironed before cutting and sewing). I have never used anything other than cotton for quilting and am wondering if there is anything special required before putting this together. Any comments and/or ideas will be so greatly welcome!
Old 08-23-2010, 12:55 PM

I don't know if that would make a difference or not. Minkee is stretchy and cotton there is no give. You may have trouble putting the quilt together unless you are an expierenced quilter.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:03 PM
bj

I've not sewed with minkie fabric, but I've read on this board posts from others that it's very stretchy, ravels badly, and crawls around when you're trying to sew it. It seems it would be hard to work with on a very big project. Might be ok if you zigzag the edges and spray basted it like crazy. Let us know how it goes!
Old 08-23-2010, 01:11 PM

I backed a baby quilt with it - well I had to unpick the first effort as I did not stretch it out enough when I was sandwiching it. That was not fun. You really need to pull it very tight in every direction it stretches in. The only quilting that was suitable was SID, I would not have tried anything else.

This is the quilt I made with it - flannel on one side, border of minkee and backed with minkee.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-102947.jpe  
Old 08-23-2010, 01:36 PM

I was taught to use same materials. Cotton with cotton, poly with poly etc. Two differant fabrics used in a quilt when washed would wash differantly. Denise
Old 08-23-2010, 01:43 PM

Minkee DROVE me crazy!! For me it was like trying to quilt on a block of slippery ice. Spray baste, maybe pin too and GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-23-2010, 01:54 PM

Thanks everyone. I think the answer for me is pretty clear. Although it is very cute, I prefer my quilting to be relaxing and using minkee just doesn't sound like the right fabric for me. Thanks again for all your input!
Old 08-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

my family (and its a big one) love their quilts backed with minkee, it is so amazingly soft.
the cut edges(shed) , so take it outside and give it a good shake. then spread it out smooth; spray with basting spray, let sit to get tacky; smooth batting over it (if you are using batting, i do, some people don't) spray with basting spray; then smooth top over batting. pin or baste all the way around the edges, then quilt as desired. it is actually quite nice to quilt (at least i found it to be) works well on the long arm...it is slippery so you need the basting spray and basting or pinning if you are doing it on a regular sewing machine. i have backed 9 quilts with minkee, have had no problems with laundering or any thing else, and they all have regular cotton or flannel tops. and i toss them in the washer and into the dryer (if they are big...mine is king, they go to the laundrymat)
my mariners compass quilt (batik) has a wonderful curly minkee backing! it is FABULOUS and has been washed quite a few times in the past 5 years. there have been no problems from washing (and i do throw it in the dryer too)
Old 08-23-2010, 05:41 PM

I won't ever use minkee again! I hated how stretchy and slippery it was. I ended up making a tied quilt because I knew I couldn't quilt it.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Banned

I actually use minky all of the time ( my kids no longer will take a quilt without minkee on the back!) I only quilt on a long arm..so it stretches it pretty evenly and tightly...so that is probably why it is not a problem for me...however if you sew it on your machine you have to spray baste it pretty well....