Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Missing Steam A Seam Lite >

Missing Steam A Seam Lite

Missing Steam A Seam Lite

Old 10-20-2013, 05:56 PM

Default Missing Steam A Seam Lite

Since SAS apparently is no longer, I bought the Pellon Lite at Joanns. What a mess! There is nothing lite about it! Feels very rubbery and thick. I used it for a In The Hoop project. I put in a titanium needle just in case. After about a few inches of stitching it caused a major catastrophe. I un hooped it to frog stitch it and it has adhered to the bottom fabric even though I never pressed it down. Needless to say the project was ended. Couldnt get the sticky stuff off even when heating it. Impossible to get it hooped again in same spot anyway. Shall I try HABond Lite?
Old 10-20-2013, 05:59 PM

I too miss Seam a Seam Lite... I was at Jo ann's today and thought there might be some in any variety left... nope not a morsel.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:09 PM

For hand stitched fusible applique, I used a feather weight fusible interfacing.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:10 PM

I recommend Mistyfuse.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

I picked up my new American Patchwork and quilting magazine (Dec. 2013)and it has an ad for Steam-A-Seam2 and lite Steam-A-Seams 2. I wonder if they have a new line out? It says " The Warm Company is pleased to present the NEW and IMPROVED line of Steam-A-Seam products.....
Old 10-20-2013, 07:35 PM

I read somewhere about a week ago that Warm company was discontinuing S-a-S until they could make a better product. Perhaps they succeeded. I liked the old stuff so new should be much better.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:40 PM

Last week I got some s-a-s lite from the Bernina dealer. It didn't have the same paper. The fusible web seems to be the same. So I assumed this was the new S-A-S. Maybe-maybe not.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I picked up my new American Patchwork and quilting magazine (Dec. 2013)and it has an ad for Steam-A-Seam2 and lite Steam-A-Seams 2. I wonder if they have a new line out? It says " The Warm Company is pleased to present the NEW and IMPROVED line of Steam-A-Seam products.....
I think this ad was placed before they suspended production of the new & improved line. The precipitating issue was that the company could no longer get the release paper used on the original. Supposedly they found something to substitute for it with the "new & improved" version, but there were problems with it so they suspended production again.

I agree that MistyFuse would be my substitute of choice. MistyFuse comes as a two-sided fusible without paper, but it's easy to press it between two sheets of parchment paper. Peel off one piece of the parchment paper and you have a paper-backed fusible.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:00 PM

While at a seminar in Sept. we were told the Steam a Seam company were not happy with the paper they had to use for there product backing. The company S-n-S bought there paper for backing from was no longer making the original paper. We were told at that time Steam-s-Seam may become hard to find until the company found a new paper product that worked as well as the original. I went out and bought enough to last me a year. LOL Sounds like they are still looking for a new paper for their backing.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:03 PM

I recently purchased 5 yards of the new SAS (with new paper) it works like a charm - I was very pleased with it.