Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mistake in pattern/reading pattern >

Mistake in pattern/reading pattern

Mistake in pattern/reading pattern

Old 11-17-2010, 09:09 AM

I started cutting my next quilt last night. It is a free pattern called Leah's Quilt from a fabric site. One of the directions said cut 9" + 1/4", so I cut 9 1/4". It didn't feel right, so I quit cutting and this morning made a block. The 1/4" is not needed. I had to trim it off. It's a very simple pattern and my square is perfect w/o the extra 1/4".

As I am rather new to quilting (none at all in 15 years), I guess I'd like someone to tell me to use my own judgement. I am far from new to sewing.

Thank you. Judy

BTW, I did cut a stack of strips incorrectly. I have a reversal problem and cut some 7 1/4 instead of 7 1/2. I hope I have enough fabric, but if worse comes worse, I'll have a couple of extra seams.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:14 AM

So sorry that happened to you! I've discovered, the hard way, to only cut one of everything to make one block. Then when I'm sure the pattern is right, I go ahead and do the rest. It makes it harder sometimes to figure out the pattern, but it sure saves heartache! I've mostly found errors in patterns that are online.....both for quilting AND for crocheting!
Old 11-17-2010, 09:22 AM

Thank you for the confirmation that's it's not me. This is such a simple pattern that I have to be correct. I just wondered if there was some quilting code I wasn't aware of for the plus sigh in there.

I am loving this website and all you helpful quilters. It's making my return to the sewing machine easy.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

The advice to make a test block is excellent! Well worth the time to do.

Some patterns have errors in them. Some templates are inaccurate.

And sometimes :oops: there is "operator error"
Old 11-17-2010, 10:00 AM

It gets worse. I just rechecked my test block. It is not square. One of the rust colored strips is wrong, too. I worked it out on paper just to be sure before I trim 1/4 in off all the strips. It was listed as 9 1/4, not 9 + 1/4, but it still needs to be 9 inches.

I chose a simple pattern so we could get ahead on our prayer quilts. It will be simple when it goes right. I'm off to make a test square with my measurements.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

Is this a group project?

If so, you might consider having each person make her "own" quilt

Variations in cutting, sewing, and pressing can limit how "interchangeable" blocks made by several people are.

In other words, one person may end up with a 9 inch block and another person will end up with an 8 inch block and another one may have an 8.5 inch block.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:29 AM

I am a visual learner and have the hardest time reading a pattern. When I run into a problem I have one of my girls read it to me while I close my eyes and "see" what they are saying...as soon I can "get" it I can move on...Makes me feel stupid sometimes...I know I'm not ~ its just the way my brain works...but there are times when I feel it.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:33 AM

The block is now perfect and I can finish cutting/recutting.

Each person does make the quilt start to finish, except for the tying - ther congregation does that. When I was asked to join the quilters as we have several terminally ill people who needs a quilt full of prayers, I indicated I may not be able to put in the embroidery thread ties that the congregation members tie as they pray for the recipient. Another quilter said she'd do those if I'd make the quilt.

I am too much of a control freak and perfectionist to let someone else do any sewing on 'my' quilt. Not necessarily a good way to be, but what is, is.

This one is very masculine - Moda's pretty ducks with strong colored strips. It's going to work up very nicely for a quick quilt.

Thank you, everyone. Judy
Old 11-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by irishrose
. . . I am too much of a control freak and perfectionist to let someone else do any sewing on 'my' quilt. Not necessarily a good way to be, but what is, is. . . .
Me, too.