Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mitered borders on quilt >

Mitered borders on quilt

Mitered borders on quilt

Old 11-30-2014, 09:52 AM

Default Mitered borders on quilt

I am making a Frozen quilt for my great niece. At 2 years old all she will care about is Elsa and Anna so I am going to keep it simple. I am going to just use the fabric as a panel and then add borders. Since this is a simple quilt that gives me a chance to try something new. I wanted to do mitered borders because I have never done those.

I started checking out the videos and "how to's" on the internet, but they are not the same. So that has be confused. how do you guys figure the mitered corners? I understand the width of the quilt center then add 2 times the border width (I get that too). But I have see on tutorial that says to add 10 inches onto that total and then a different tutorial says 4 times the border width + the seam allowance.

I understand there is more than one way to do things, but before I start cutting on the fabric I wan to understand the plan so I don't waste fabric. Please let me know your thoughts Thank you
Old 11-30-2014, 09:55 AM

I'm hoping people come up with some good answers for you. I have a quilt that needs a mitered border and I've been stalled on it for over a year -- just haven't been brave enough to try it!
Old 11-30-2014, 10:26 AM

10 inches extra seems excessive. I do width of quilt center + 2 times the border width + 2 seam allowances + 3 to 4 inches extra. You can also fold your border width at 45 degree angle then measure to see how much additional you'll need and add a few inches for good measure. You just don't want to run short.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:12 PM

The formula for metered borders I was given is: the length of the quilt side+width of border X2+6 inches. It's better too much than not enough. Although, I did make a mistake once, but fortunately had enough fabric to add a piece. I ripped it back and just added a piece - more work for not doing it right in the first place. The length of the quilt side is of course what you determine after you measure through the center etc.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:39 AM

All of these idea's sound good & would work out nicely!!
Old 12-01-2014, 06:38 AM

Thank you so much for your replies. I will gather some scrap material and do a trial run to see how it goes