Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mites in cotton fabric >

Mites in cotton fabric

Mites in cotton fabric

Old 06-30-2012, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Well, the two things I've heard of are putting things in the freezer for a day or two, and putting things in the dryer on high heat. If it were me, I'd do the dryer, then wash on an extended load with water as hot as I dared, then dryer again.

On the other hand, if I wasn't very attached to the fabric, I'd toss it.
Sorry, I have to take issue with the idea of putting anything that isn't clean into the dryer. We don't know what it might take to kill these critters or their eggs. I'd go with washing them first. Also, I'd probably wash all the fabric stored anywhere near the one that's found to have "wildlife". There's no way to know how they got there or how mobile they might be. Probably, the whole area needs to be cleared of fabric and then fumigated before clean fabric is put back in there.

The freezer would make a lot of cold blooded animals go dormant, but in many cases would not kill them.

Maybe a good first step would be to try to get a picture of the mites and visit a site that has experts who might be able to identify exactly what they are. Here's one that is very active: http://bugguide.net/node/view/15740 If they can tell you what it is exactly, they can probably give more information about the best way to get rid of it.

Good luck!
Old 06-30-2012, 02:17 PM

Seems to me the mites either came from somewhere else in your house (via bird or mouse) or came in on the fabric. Biting mites are mostly animal hosted, not vegetable (i.e., cotton) hosted. They don't live in fabric...they need blood to survive.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:00 PM

Mites are in everything that has dust in it, that's why they're called "dust mites", and I believe they eat the dust, which is actually dead skin cells from the people and animals living there. They get into carpeting, pillows, stuffed toys, etc., and can even get into your mattress. That's why it's good to use a mite cover over your mattress and bed pillows, and vacuum them with the hose often. Washing in hot soapy water kills them, I believe, as does storage in the freezer overnight. In fact, it is recommended that stuffed animals get the freezer treatment periodically.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
Mites are in everything that has dust in it, that's why they're called "dust mites", and I believe they eat the dust, which is actually dead skin cells from the people and animals living there.
While dust mites can add to respiratory problems, they do not bite or cause skin irritation in any way. The OP was asking about biting mites.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:45 AM

Do you remember years and more years ago when we would walk into a fabric store and your eyes would burn and water. I always thought it was fabric dye, however that maybe why there were no mites there.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:49 AM

In over 50 years of sewing I have never had this problem. I have had strong chemical odor a few times but a couple of days in the fresh air and sunshine and it is gone. I did have a fabric that smelled very strongly of machine oil even though there was no sign of it.
Is it just one piece of fabric . If it is all fabrics in your stash try airing it other wise the only solution I can think of is washing but if you have a large stash that could be out of the question. If it is just one fabric contact the store you bought it from and ask if anyone else has had the problem.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:28 AM

Can't help you there, luckily never had that problem. Good luck getting rid of em!
Old 07-02-2012, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
sounds like the fabric needs to be washed- disinfected- i have been sewing for over 45 years now---and have never had any type of bugs in my fabrics....lucky i guess
May I add that I don't prewash either....I also have dogs and have never had a problem with "bugs"
Old 07-02-2012, 04:42 AM

I would guess that some sort of 'critter' got into that piece of fabric and left you a present! I've had it happen when field mice came in (through the dryer vent??) and decided that my linen drawer was a perfect nesting spot. Not only did they leave a mess and damage some of my tablecloths, they brought in the little mites as well.

I washed everything in hot water and the whites in bleach, then dried on the highest setting on my dryer. Took care of it, except for the holes in my crocheted tablecloth. Haven't repaired them yet, and its looking like I may not since it has been several years already. LOL!

Hot water, bleach and a hot dryer should take care of your problem.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:08 AM

No matter where I get my fabrics from, I ALWAYS wash, then iron with the hottest setting - I'm so OCD about bugs!!