Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: mixed up media

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i have been browsing books on a website & now i would like to hear about books that YOU bought that fell short of your expectations.....which books are your "go to" books for quilting OR your favorite magazine or do you just find patterns that you like by looking @ other quilts? [like me]

Quote Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
    i have been browsing books on a website & now i would like to hear about books that YOU bought that fell short of your expectations.....which books are your "go to" books for quilting OR your favorite magazine or do you just find patterns that you like by looking @ other quilts? [like me]
    When I first started I bought the quilting for dummies book,, and needless to say,,it was NO help,,, I now look at pictures or look to here,, (and get sites from here,,)

I don't think I've ever followed a pattern exactly. (see my tagline) I buy the quilt books and look at the quilts, and I do read the directions, because sometimes they have a better way to do something than I do. (Other times I wonder why anyone would cut out a zillion two inch squares to make things easily made by strip quilting).

I don't buy patterns for that reason. I know myself too well. I have great respect for the more perfectionist and disciplined quilters here. I am occasionally awed. But I've reached an age where I know myself. I will make it as well as I can, but it's not going to be perfect, and it is going to have lots of love sewn in.

Older books that I have bought at auctions or garage sales. Mostly ones that have traditional patterns as that is what I like to do. I also have a collection of Kansas City Star patterns. I can always find something in that collection. Once in awhile a magazine pattern will interest me.

Blog Entries
    I get disappointed over "books" that should really be advertised as "pamphlets" and priced accordingly :wink:

Blog Entries
    some of the quilting magazines has too much advertisements and not enough cool patterns for the price of the magazine

Im like Cathie, I like the traditional stuff, so I like the older books and magazines. Usually the ones I find at yard sales, or flea markets, ect!