Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mixing Flannel Squares from a Charm Pack with Denim >

Mixing Flannel Squares from a Charm Pack with Denim

Mixing Flannel Squares from a Charm Pack with Denim

Old 09-05-2016, 12:11 PM

Default Mixing Flannel Squares from a Charm Pack with Denim

Hi...a co-worker of mine just gave me seven pair of jeans (her father's) and asked me if I could make a quilt as he recently passed away. I was planning on making a small lap quilt and since I don't think there will be enough material I wanted to add some flannel 5 inch squares from a charm pack I got.

Just wondering if that would work? The jeans were washed but I can't wash the flannel squares. The squares would be the perfect answer as I don't have a lot of other flannel and I would use mostly denim with a sprinkling of the flannel squares.

Any tips would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:32 PM

I would worry about the flannel shrinking. The Denim, I'm sure, is well shrunk from use.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:04 PM

Thank you krafty14. Would there be a way I could wash the flannel squares? Maybe in one of those net bags? Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

My concern would be that the denim is very strong whereas flannel is relatively weak. I think I would iron on a nylon tricot interfacing to "beef up" the flannel squares. You can use parchment paper as a non-stick surface underneath and above (so the nylon tricot interfacing doesn't melt onto your iron or ironing board). You can probably find some nylon tricot interfacing at JoAnn's. Pellon's Easy-Knit is one brand. Here is another on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/FusiKnit-Tric...dp/B005Q1OCZW/

I like the fusible nylon tricot interfacing, but there are probably other types of interfacing that would also do the job. I think you would not have to worry about the flannel shrinking if you use an iron-on interfacing, and it would make the flannel a closer weight to the denim so you would not have to worry so much about the flannel fraying at the seams. It is always a good idea to use a 1/2" seam allowance for flannel, but again I think you could get away with 1/4" if you use an iron-on interfacing first.

Are you planning to tie the finished piece? Or machine quilt it? Machine quilting is another safeguard against shrinkage and seam fraying. It stabilizes the quilt so there is less stress put on the seams.

Edit: Pre-washing flannel is a good idea when you have yardage, but becomes more problematic when you have 5" squares. Some flannels do not shrink at all; others shrink a *lot*. If you soak the squares, you could end up with different sizes. If you want to use them as 5" squares, it's probably safer to use an iron-on interfacing. I'm pretty sure nylon tricot won't shrink; I don't know about others.

Last edited by Prism99; 09-05-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:48 PM

Prism99, I never thought about interfacing. I do have some Pellon 911 Featherweight interfacing that would give it some body. I appreciate your taking the time to explain it. Thank you very much. Great idea! I was planning on just straight stitching in diagonal rows for the quilting.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:12 PM

what pattern are you using?

I made denim quilts from my son's jeans and used flannel squares and I was happy with how they turned out. But I did that circle pattern
Attached Thumbnails ragquilt-2-.jpg  
Old 09-05-2016, 06:24 PM

You should have enough denim to make the whole quilt unless they are bad shape and you need to cut out the damage. Denim tends to fray so use 1/2 inch seams.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:43 PM

Wow meyert, that quilt is great. I was just thinking of 6 1/2 squares and 3 1/2 inch squares.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:53 PM

How about a rag quilt? a denim charm square, with a flannel or fabric square in center. 1/2" seams. Fringe seams....wash and dry in dryer to fluff (empty dryer screen four times during the dryer cycle)
Old 09-06-2016, 04:53 AM

I made a quilt for my grandson several years ago with denim and flannel squares. I backed it with flannel. It was so thick I ended up tying it rather than quilting it. It is still a much loved quilt but heavy enough it doesn't need batting.