Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: mixing pre washed and unwashed fabric

I am makeing a 30's quilt and want it to crinkle up. I am using white unwashed Kona CCotten and then smaller vintage prints. If some of the vintage fabris were already pre-washed, will it mess up my top? Its a Pussin the Corner nine patch pattern?

It is a 6" block?

I used to believe that you never combined washed and unwashed fabrics, however, a local quilt shop owner says, and I am now a convert, that it really doesn't make a difference...especially if your quilt has smaller pieces of fabric. The smaller the piece of fabric, the less noticeable any shrinkage will be on the overall look. If you use unwashed backing fabric and unwashed batting, you should get the wrinkled look that you (and I) like even if some of the front pieces are pre=washed.

I just finished my DDs cupcake quilt and used prewashed fabric for the cupcakes and unwashed fabric for the sashings and borders. Didn't see any problems when I washed and dried the finished product. It still had that wrinkled look to it and not a section looked different from the others.

Thanku! I am getting all the " players" out this afternoon and to be able to toss in the other prints is wonderful! It is suppose to be a scrappy look, and without my stash added in, do not believe it would have.

i would mix them

I just washed and dried a flannel back q

I just washed and dried a flannel back quilt that I forgot to wash the flannel. Thank You Lord -the quilt came out of the dryer looking wonderful!! I always pre-wash my flannel because of shrinkage. I really really got lucky this time.